Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Polite Enhancement Request

Kovid, I love Calibre, and don't know what I would do without it. (That was the polite part, for those that need illustration). But I have an issue with desktop icons, and Calibre puts one on my desktop every single time I upgrade. Would it be possible to put 2 choices on the final dialog box, create desktop icon and launch Calibre? You could leave both checked, and I could just uncheck desktop icon. (I launch Calibre from my taskbar. It is next to itunes).

I realize I am probably in the minority with desktop OCD (getting that recycle bin off the desktop was quite a feat), so if you don't want to do this, that is fine.

Thank you for listening. Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What OS are you using? I know that on Windows if after accepting the GPL license you select Advanced rather than Install you have more control over the install process. I always unselect the option for a desktop icon.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
The end of the installation is too late for configuring the desktop icon. However you can do that at the beginning of installation. It's hidden under the "Advanced" (or whatever -- don't have an installer to check on at the moment) button on the dialog screen where your other option is "Install". Hit the advanced button and untick the desktop icon checkbox.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I found the Advanced Install too advanced for me when I started using calibre so I just delete the shortcut icon after the install. Even if the recycle bin has been removed from desktop, it shouldn't take too long to delete the icon.

I don't use the desktop in a traditional way, either. My most frequently used programs are accessed from the quick launch menu and the other programs are accessed from the start menu (I'm still on XP). All I use the desktop for is to park virtual post it notes, files and folders I'm currently working with (not my calibre libraries since calibre does its own accessing), and temporary folders used to store temporary files awaiting processing). I used to get rid of the recycle bin but have since found that it is way faster to drag files I'm through with to the bin than to right click, delete, then respond to the nag screen ("Are you sure?") while muttering sweet nothings under my breath ("Dang right I want to!").
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Lady - did you know you can get rid of that confirmation dialog? Just right-click on the recycle bin and bring up the properties for it.

Also if you are "dang sure" you want to get rid of something, hold the shift key while you hit the delete key. That will bypass the recycle bin and *really* get rid of it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can ask the installer to not install the icon by clicking the advanced button as toddos pointed out.

The only downside is that you have to remember to do it at each install because I hate working on windows installers and I haven't got around to having it remember those settings.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Lady - did you know you can get rid of that confirmation dialog? Just right-click on the recycle bin and bring up the properties for it.

Also if you are "dang sure" you want to get rid of something, hold the shift key while you hit the delete key. That will bypass the recycle bin and *really* get rid of it.
No I wasn't (thanks for that bit of education) but I'm probably better off leaving it alone to protect me when I hit a wrong button (I do that a lot although I rarely blow through the nag screen). For some reason (probably my ADD), I find dragging items to the recycle screen results in far fewer mistakes than using the delete key or the delete button in the right click menu (keep in mind that people with AD think differently than those without ADD). Even though I find the nag screen annoying, I still would prefer my discards going to the recycle bin since every once in a blue moon I do need to recover a recent discard.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote