Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
How to convert PDF into mobi using Linux?

I know two possible options are Calibre and sending your PDF by email to Amazon for conversion.
However, there are times when I'm not satisfied with Calibre conversion, but the document is too big to be handled by Amazon. What can I do in that case?

Someone was suggesting in another thread (I've been looking around for this answer) to convert PDF into html (didn't say what program can do that), and then use kindlegen to convert html into mobi. Is that a good idea? What can I use to go from PDF to html?

Thanks!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
You can use pdftohtml, wich is what calibre uses.

For an editing tool you can use openoffice or sigil.

Then you can use kindlegen or calibre to convert the epub

Last edited by =X=; 12-20-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: fixed typo thanks "frabjous"
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
You might want to use pdfreflow along with pdftohtml (which what I assume was meant by "pdf2html" earlier) for easier tweaking.

Abiword can also convert PDF to HTML -- though I think it uses the poppler tools too.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote