Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2016, 04:12 AM   #1
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
SOLVED: Frozen Browser - won't open at all (using 3.4.2)

I recently upgraded to the latest os for the K3, 3.4.2, and just as was with the 3.4 that I had on previously, my browser fails to run at all. It even freezes and I have to hard reboot.

To note, I have had this problem for a while now, noticing first I think when upgrading to 3.4 (never upgrade 3.4.1). I read somewhere it was a security credential issue that Amazon fixed in 3.4.1, but it does not work for me even after the latest upgrade.

Also, I am on a Jailbroken K3, with all the bells and whistles that I have used for years (latest versions, fyi). I had no issues previously, but do think the problem first occurred when I last updated (to 3.4).

Finally, the strange thing is if I remove my hacks in reverse order, and eventually factory reset, the browser works (at least the previous time I did this). I can even install Duokan 2014 and it remained working. But then after the hacks installed it fails. The thing is I don't see why any of them would affect things.

Any help?

Last edited by inameiname; 03-26-2016 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Solved. Doukan or Kite was the culprit.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Doukan effects a lot of things, it is very invasive.
And it has been known not to cleanly un-install.

Try using KUBRICK on your K3, that **might** get rid of the 'Doukan effect(s)'.

Last edited by knc1; 03-25-2016 at 08:55 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Doukan effects a lot of things, it is very invasive.
And it has been known not to cleanly un-install.

Try using KUBRICK on your K3, that **might** get rid of the 'Doukan effect(s)'.
At first I thought it might be Doukan but I believe I had a working browser even after I installed Doukan. It was only until I did the jailbreak and others that I had the browser issue.

As for the Kubrick suggestion, I have looked into that as a way to completely reset the K3. Is it really as safe and easy to use as is mentioned in the threads? I find a simple Kubrick reset a lot easier than having to remove each and every hack I've added one by one to get it back to a fresh install (even then I might miss something).
Old 03-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
At first I thought it might be Doukan but I believe I had a working browser even after I installed Doukan. It was only until I did the jailbreak and others that I had the browser issue.

As for the Kubrick suggestion, I have looked into that as a way to completely reset the K3.

Is it really as safe and easy to use as is mentioned in the threads?

I find a simple Kubrick reset a lot easier than having to remove each and every hack I've added one by one to get it back to a fresh install (even then I might miss something).
I am at a loss as how to answer that question.

I suppose you can just assume that it is mis-represented in a way that once you try to use it yourself, the only way out is to purchase a high priced support contract from us.

The price is so high because we have to give a percentage to each of those independent posters in the forum that are helping continue the deception.

Just assume we are pushing a "FixMe Stick for the Kindles"
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
inameiname
Groupie

Wow, I see. I did not know it was that big of a deal for people to use it. I will hold off on just trying it for the fun of it. Personally, I am the type of Linux guy who does dd everything and restores fresh as it is far easier than all of the uninstalling and then reinstalling. But from what you are telling me, it sounds like it may not be a good idea to use it.

On another note, I thought about also trying the following, something I think I figured out four years ago when I got mine. (Note, I did do a back up back then.) I know this isn't directly related to the browser not working but it might hopefully make it all back to factory default again. I just was not 100% it is the correct method as I asked others but never got a response.

Code:
Backup:
    dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin bs=1024

Restore:
    sudo su # Become root, so you don’t need to sudo everything
    fdisk -l # Look for your Kindle’s identifier, something like /dev/sdc, a 2GB drive with 4 partitions. using /dev/sdX here to represent drive
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdX2 # Make a ext3 partition for /var/local
    dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.bin of=/dev/sdX1 bs=1MiB # This will take a long time to finish

UPDATE:

I solved it. After removing all of my hacks, one by one, I factory resetted, and the browser works. Then, I elected to not install two of them, Doukan and Kite, since I never used them. Sure enough, the browser still works.

So it probably was Doukan. The reason I thought the browser worked with Doukan installed was what worked was Doukan's browser, not Kindle's webkit one.

Anyway, Idk why it did not work with Doukan installed, but it is not that important to me why.

Thank you for trying to help. Again, it looks like it probably was Doukan, as you stated.

I would still be curious if my restore method is correct, though, since one never knows in the future. Thanks again.

Last edited by inameiname; 03-26-2016 at 12:14 AM.