Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
5.1.0 firmware & orientation

Good evening!

I hope this interests someone...

I just updated my Kindle Touch to 5.1.0 and I found out that orientation now doesn't works with browser and WAF applications.

Playing around, I managed to make the GUI launcher orientation script to work even in the home screen. I changed the value of this entry in appreg.db to URL (instead of U):

Anyway, creating a similar entry for the browser or any of the WAF doesn't work.

Any clue?
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I investigated a little more....
It seems like something is preventing to send the orientationLock event...

While displaying the browser, or a WAF, I can't get this in the log file:

Code:
I lipc:evts:name=orientationChange, origin=com.lab126.winmgr, fparam=R:Event sent
or this, for vertical orientation:
Code:
I lipc:evts:name=orientationChange, origin=com.lab126.winmgr, fparam=U:Event sent
while I can see those logs while reading a book...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
silver18
THE NOOB

I found something in browser JS...

Code:
// set orientation
// eventually can get this information from webkit's orientation
// implementation, but it is not currently enabled
That's why the com.lab126.winmgr command doesn't work!

Anyway it seems that everything is ready to receive a rotation support!
Maybe in the next firmware release....
Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Shamelessly plugging in here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=49 contains a method to support all orientations (including upside-down) in the Reader, the Home screen, and even Kindlets. (Not WAF applications though). No changes required (except for installing the jbpatch thing )!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
silver18
THE NOOB

Thanks a lot for all your work!

I'll try it this evening!

I'm really thinking of converting my ImageGallery (WAF) to a kindlet as WAF have so many limitations...
Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
silver18
THE NOOB

Finally rotation is back even for WAFs!!!

You have to add this to your config.xml file:

Code:
<kindle:messaging>
       	<kindle:app name="com.lab126.pillow" value="yes"/>
</kindle:messaging>
and then call this function in your HTML:

Code:
kindle.dev.setOrientation(state);
Variable state can be "portrait", "auto" or "landscape"!!

Have fun!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
@silver: which config.xml file please. I am lost between "extensions" of GUI and ixtabs version. And how to activate pls, could you add a sentence to make it clear?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
@silver: which config.xml file please. I am lost between "extensions" of GUI and ixtabs version. And how to activate pls, could you add a sentence to make it clear?
I'm talking about WAFs here.
You need to edit the config.xml file of your WAF adding these lines:

Code:
and then, to change orientation, use this in JavaScript:

Code:
where state can be:
- auto
- portrait
- landscape

Here are examples:

config.xml from ImageGallery: click

how to change orientation from ImageGallery: click

You're welcome!

Last edited by silver18; 06-10-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
silver18
THE NOOB

I'm here again to share another finding...

You can use the old:

Code:
where
Code:
state
can be (and here's the finding):

Code:
portraitUp
portraitDown
landscapeLeft
landscapeRight
PortraitUp and portraitDown work really well!!
LandscapeRight and landscapeLeft work, but I had some UI problems I didn't have with
Code:
state="landscape"
You can see the problem in screenshots

All in all, we have 4 direction rotation now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-08-20T13_14_55-0200.gif
Views:	332
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	91018   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-08-20T13_06_41-0200.gif
Views:	330
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	91019  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
silver18
THE NOOB

My Kindle just update itself to 5.1.2, and it seems that the UI problems are solved!
I don't know if this is related to the update (I didn't managed to test the 4-way-rotation deeply).
Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
My Kindle just update itself to 5.1.2, and it seems that the UI problems are solved!
I don't know if this is related to the update (I didn't managed to test the 4-way-rotation deeply).
You can always "debrick" to an earlier firmware version, so you can do more testing.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
silver18
THE NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can always "debrick" to an earlier firmware version, so you can do more testing.
No way!!! This is the first update that didn't mess anything (or at least I didn't find anything!).
Old 08-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
oops.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #14
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Finally rotation is back even for WAFs!!!

You have to add this to your config.xml file:

Code:
and then call this function in your HTML:

Code:
Variable state can be "portrait", "auto" or "landscape"!!

Have fun!
This method seems to no longer work in mesquite for Kindle Touch! Damn. Anyone had any success in rotating mesquite web apps?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
silver18
THE NOOB

Well, it works in 5.3.7 firmware!
It is also included in the Mesquite API (check in /var/local/mesquite/shared/javascripts/device.js).
Code:
kindle.dev.setOrientation(orientation);
Orientation variable can be:
Code:
orientations = {
    auto: 'auto',
    portrait: 'portrait',
    portraitUp: 'portraitUp',
    portraitDown: 'portraitDown',
    landscape: 'landscape',
    landscapeLeft: 'landscapeLeft',
    landscapeRight: 'landscapeRight'