Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Lyrehc
Lyrehc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it possible to password protect certain books in my library?

My sons are getting ereaders for Christmas, and while I'm happy to let them read some of my books, there are others that I feel are not age appropriate. Is there a way to have all books in the same library while not allowing my sons to access them?

I checked the manual and did a forum search and couldn't find anything on this topic, so I apologize if this has already been covered.
Lyrehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrehc View Post
My sons are getting ereaders for Christmas, and while I'm happy to let them read some of my books, there are others that I feel are not age appropriate. Is there a way to have all books in the same library while not allowing my sons to access them?

I checked the manual and did a forum search and couldn't find anything on this topic, so I apologize if this has already been covered.
Have them use the content server feature (assumes they use a different PC or WiFi) and set a filter up that won't show them books that are trapped by the filter.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Lyrehc
Lyrehc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Have them use the content server feature (assumes they use a different PC or WiFi) and set a filter up that won't show them books that are trapped by the filter.
They're 8 and 10. I won't let them have their own computer yet.
Lyrehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
They're 8 and 10. I won't let them have their own computer yet.
The content server is something you would run on your computer and can be accessed via wifi by some ereaders.

Or you could create a catalog of your books (minus the books that aren't age appropriate) and let them view the possible options by viewing the catalog. The catalog feature is found via the dropdown arrow next to the Convert books icon.

My son is 15 and he doesn't care what is in the library and has never even run calibre. I usually load up 300 or so books that I think he might find interesting. Sometimes he asks about a specific book or series and then we find the series via the Navy lending e-library or an online retailer.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-02-2011 at 07:24 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
It might not be so convenient, but you could create a second calibre library in a folder where the children do not have access, (use OS permissions to deny them), and move the inappropriate books to this second library. Switching libraries in calibre is only a couple of mouse clicks.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert