Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Do Short Books Sell on Smashwords?

I've got tons of ideas floating around and I've been writing for years, yet I never seem to get above 7-10,000 words with my fiction stories. I just run out of steam. However, I do tend to think these short stories are really good.

I've heard, however, that short stories don't sell as e-books unless you are an established author. So let me pose the question to you:

Would you ever buy a short story individually that was 7-10,000 words if it was only for a dollar? If you wouldn't, would you ever buy a collection of short stories from an author you've never heard of before?
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Would you ever buy a short story individually that was 7-10,000 words if it was only for a dollar? If you wouldn't, would you ever buy a collection of short stories from an author you've never heard of before?
1. Yes, if it were by an author I already know, or recommended by someone who's opinion I trust.

2. No
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
I would buy a short story for a dollar but wouldn't buy a collection of them from an author I knew nothing about unless it had several good reviews, explaining why it was good not just "Great/nice work/etc" and was cheap. Otherwise I'd want to know about the author having read several of their stories/novels first.

I'd suggest if you have many stories put a few up as freebies sell some others then look at a collection maybe even similarly themed ie fantasy/western but I'm not in the know of how writers sell their works.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Some authors have put collections for sale, and offered one or a few of the included stories as freebies to get people interested. It's worked on me - I read a couple of free short stories from an author, then purchased a collection because I liked the freebies.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Most books run between 60,000 and 100,000 words. Most independent authors sell their books on Smashwords for $2.99. Therefore I would bundle my stories in collections of six to ten depending on length, to provide the same perceived value.

Then I'd go ahead and put a few stories up for free, so that people have a chance to judge the value of my work.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
It'd have to be a pretty engaging summary to make me pick it up. I remember finding "Kushiel's Dart" in B&N one day. I only saw the spine but the rose symbol was interesting enough for me to pick it up. The summary started with "When love cast me out, it was cruelty who took pity on me"

Just call me
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Short stories are fine, and I'll pay for them. But I won't pay $5 for ten thousand words....

Yes I did find something like that on smashwords earlier. Sigh. I'll also try anthologies of short stories if they're a decent price, and with a good sized sample.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote