Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
EternalCow
EternalCow began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post Greetings from a Legally Blind Bookworm

Hello all!

I've been lurking on these forums for quite some time, gleaning quite a lot of useful information actually, but thought I'd introduce myself properly.

I have a condition called Optic Nerve Hypoplasia, meaning that my optic nerves didn't completely develop. So while my eyes are pretty much fine, the signals just aren't getting to my brain. My functional vision is out of a small field in my left eye (I can sort of see light and color with my right.)

I've been an avid reader for a long time. I can read regular print by putting it right up to my eye, but of course that's not ideal. I'm very intrigued by the eBook movement, and have dabbled in converting some of my own writing to various mobile formats. I don't yet own an e-reader, but I'm hoping to snag an iPad sometime in the next few months. The ability to enlarge the text is invaluable for me. I also do a lot of audiobooks via audible.com.

Anyway, I just thought I'd drop in and say hello. Hope everyone's well this holiday season.

~Seth~
EternalCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Hi and welcome Seth. Good to have your company.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Seth and welcome to MobileRead.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Seth. Many readers include a zooming fuction that can increase text size massively. I'd suggest you post your question in the 'Whieh One Should I Buy?' thread here at MR for more expert and specific advice. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Examples of 3 of the sizes available with the Gen3 .... Others will be similar....Smallest, Mid and Largest

Last edited by GeoffC; 12-15-2010 at 12:25 PM.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
welcome Seth,
a hint for ebooks - Baen would (doue to your disability) grant you free access to all their books: http://www.webscription.net/news.aspx?showarticle=2 Just request it: http://www.readassist.org/read/service/webscform.php
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Seth!

I am legally blind also. I have almost no vision on the right,

with mostly light and shadows. It is 20/400 on the left, so

that is not much.

You MUST get an iPad, not one of the e-ink readers like Kindle

Or Sony. E-ink does not provide enough contrast between font

And background. The iPad is full colored and backlit, so that

You can reverse text to white on black with sharp contrast.

It works well. Just last evening I read National Geographic

With the near-infinite zoom. I could read the articles AND see

The photos. In sections, because I zoom in on different parts

Of the photos.

Anyway, go to a Best Buy or Walmart, so that you can try before you buy.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands. I believe the iPad has something called 'voice-over', which could benefit you. Perhaps you can find more info on the iPad-section of MR.

Last edited by desertblues; 12-15-2010 at 05:24 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Seth and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Glad you have joined us and please post any information about your experiences with e-readers. Having once taken a little blind girl round a science exhibition and having another friend who has a similar condition, I have come to realise all too well how much we ignore the needs of the blind. Do you also use the audio books over at Librivox? They are all free and can be loaded onto any MP3 player.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Welcome to MR! Happy Holidays to you, too :-)

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, blind, ipad, text to speech