Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #31
Reedsmith
Reedsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E60, Kindle4, Kobo H2O
Auto answer: I guess yes as I did the trick and the tgz file disappeared and I can't see any change in the .kobo folder ..
Reedsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Kobo's contain multiple "partitions". The only partitions "presented" to the host when connected via USB are /mnt/onboard and /mnt/sd (if there is an SD card present in the slot).

/mnt/onboard contains all eBooks, configuration info and the database.

The other file systems / partitions are only accessible from the device itself, so can only be seen by the end-user if they activate telnet and logon to the device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #33
diskette
diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.diskette has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kobo touch
mmm very simple and effective fix, thank you. i guess you were able to find out what outgoing connections there were through telnet, so you must be better with UNIX than me !

EDIT: i actually just opened the /etc/hosts file of my kobo touch running stock 3.19.5761 and saw this:

#[Google Inc]
#127.0.0.1 adwords.google.com
#127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
#127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
#127.0.0.1 adservices.google.com
#127.0.0.1 imageads.googleadservices.com
#127.0.0.1 imageads1.googleadservices.com
#127.0.0.1 www.googleadservices.com
#127.0.0.1 apps5.oingo.com
#127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
#127.0.0.1 kona.kontera.com
#127.0.0.1 infolinks.com
#127.0.0.1 online-oas.affinitygroup.com
#127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

looks like a kobo developer with a propensity towards general privacy. so naturally i removed all the hashes next to the IPs and also added OP's recommendations of

127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com

Last edited by diskette; 02-18-2016 at 10:35 AM.
diskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:42 AM   #34
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Can someone please upload the original zip file again, please?
The attachement is missing.
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #35
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Can someone please upload the original zip file again, please?
The attachement is missing.
Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Disable_Google_Analytics.zip (341 Bytes, 960 views)
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #36
iwander
iwander doesn't litteriwander doesn't litter

Device: kobo aura h20
Kobo - block google Analytics - hosts file

This is great stuff, Im also shocked to see the Analytics file in .kobo/Kobo/Analytics.conf. Whats the deal with all this tracking

Ive added the Spark hosts list from here : https://energized.pro/#about

and recompiled the KoboRoot.tgz for the update (attached),
Thanks for everyones help on this forum, ive resolved a few issues today with my Kobo Aura H20 that ive been dealing for weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskette View Post
mmm very simple and effective fix, thank you. i guess you were able to find out what outgoing connections there were through telnet, so you must be better with UNIX than me !

EDIT: i actually just opened the /etc/hosts file of my kobo touch running stock 3.19.5761 and saw this:

#[Google Inc]
#127.0.0.1 adwords.google.com
#127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
#127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
#127.0.0.1 adservices.google.com
#127.0.0.1 imageads.googleadservices.com
#127.0.0.1 imageads1.googleadservices.com
#127.0.0.1 www.googleadservices.com
#127.0.0.1 apps5.oingo.com
#127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
#127.0.0.1 kona.kontera.com
#127.0.0.1 infolinks.com
#127.0.0.1 online-oas.affinitygroup.com
#127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

looks like a kobo developer with a propensity towards general privacy. so naturally i removed all the hashes next to the IPs and also added OP's recommendations of

127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-block-analytics-hosts-file.zip (374.6 KB, 746 views)
iwander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #37
Namih
Namih began at the beginning.

Device: none
1) How can i opened the /etc/hosts file of my kobo to check if new IP were added in 2020 ?
2) If I want to update @iwander last file with the updated Spark host file. Do i just need to compress the new host file in tar format, name it koboroot and then upload it to .kobo ?
Thanks in advance
Namih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:39 AM   #38
druss67
Connoisseur
druss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 4, PBk Lux 2, PBk Lux 3, K Aura, K Libra H2O, K Libra2
1) you need to use ssh or telnet in order to be able to see /

2) yes, correct.

Druss67

Envoyé de mon SM-A405FN en utilisant Tapatalk
druss67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #39
druss67
Connoisseur
druss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notes

Question from my side about hosts file.

Is there is a way to block all and accept only the sites I want, using hosts file?

Thanks
Druss67

Old 10-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #40
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by druss67 View Post
Question from my side about hosts file.

Is there is a way to block all and accept only the sites I want, using hosts file?

Thanks
Druss67

No... the hosts file has no easy way of blocking all sites. Better to use a firewall or a device like the pi-hole. I'd recommend the pi-hole because you can set it up as your DNS server and get it to securely connect to Cloudflare as your DNS. (Cloudflare make a point of not tracking DNS, most internet providers track you, and you'll want a secure tunnel to Cloudflare.)

My pi-hole currently blocks around 130,000 domains, which means approximately 20% of our household internet traffic is blocked. Some folks I know who aren't using ad-blockers usually end up with something like 50% of traffic blocked. Of course, Google are a bit cheeky like this and often bypass local DNS settings on Android devices so that they can track you. But, the pi-hole will pay for itself if you have an internet tarriff based on traffic and/or you live somewhere where you have low bandwidth. (Once you look at the log in the software you'll also realise how had it would be to only choose which sites you want to see).. Bon Courage!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #41
druss67
Connoisseur

Hi James

Thanks for interesting feedback.
I will have a look on pi-hole solution. Probably a good solution also to replace the poor dhcp of my provider.

Regards.
Druss67

Old 10-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #42
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Hi James

Thanks for interesting feedback.
I will have a look on pi-hole solution. Probably a good solution also to replace the poor dhcp of my provider.

Regards.
Druss67

Pi-Hole has nothing to do with DHCP. Maybe you meant DNS?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:34 AM   #43
druss67
Connoisseur

No, no, pi-hole can also replace my provider's box dhcp, If I understood correctly the how-to seen on the Web.
I will test pi-hole this weekend and let you know.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #44
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
No, no, pi-hole can also replace my provider's box dhcp, If I understood correctly the how-to seen on the Web.
I will test pi-hole this weekend and let you know.

Oh, you mean that.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #45
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Although we are going somewhat Off topic with this discussion the pi hole works very well for me as a DHCP server. You need to set your provider box to "DHCP server relay" and point it at the pi-hole box IP address (which you'll have configured as a static address).

Although it is possible to run pi-hole on other devices, I think it really helps to have it on pi hardware for simplicity of networking. I have the good fortune of using my own choice of networking hardware so I have a Billion Bipac router rather than a provider one which is considerably better, and very easy to configure to use the pi-hole for DNS and DHCP. Usually any decent SOHO router can do this.

The other thing I'd point you at is this tutorial which explains how to set up secure DNS with Cloudflare.

Setting all this up is not a quick procedure, give yourself plenty of time, but once you have the pi sitting there eating all that garbage, it does clean up your surfing experience greatly!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch, privacy