Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
aegir
aegir began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Basic question about the PRS-505

Hello,

I've read that the PRS-505 can be used as a standard USB Mass Storage.

That's cool because it means that it can be used without any specific software.

I just like to know the way browsing the books catalog.

I mean : If I put some ebooks (HTML and/or LRF formats) into a PRS-505 using it as an USB mass storage, how the books catalog is shown ?

Is it a basic file browsing ? Or does the Sony Reader scan the newly added files and then generates a books catalog, allowing to browse the database by title, author, lang, etc. ?

Thank you for any informations about that...
aegir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
HTML is not supported.
You can copy RTF, LRF, PDF and TXT files directly to the Reader, as you would to an USB drive. If the meta data (author, title) is correctly filled, then you can access it normally.
The Reader lists the books in alphabetical order by author or title. There are also collections, but I never used them and do not know exactly how it works.

If you use the Connect software for the upload, then formatting is done during the transfer. Without it, formatting is done on the device which means the first opening and font size change will be a bit slow (like 10-30 seconds).
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
aegir--I'm pretty sure the Sony can't read HTML files, so you'd have to convert them to LRF or another format the reader can read first.

Then, the Sony will display the files by author, title, or date added. (You need to make sure the metadata is filled in for your files--so that Sony will know the title/author.)

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
aegir

OK, thank you very much for these informations...

So I can buy one... (And I'll use html2ps | ps2pdf ;-) )
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
aegir, look around on the "Content" sub forum, particularly the "Sticky" posts. There are some very nice multi-OS tools for translating various formats to LRF files and tips for maximizing the readability of PDF's.

Welcome!

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegir View Post

With the Sony you are better off going from html to LRF or ePub. Calibre is free open source software that will do either of these conversions.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #7
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:

Sounds like a *nix user, your best bet is

What I call linksdump (alias linksdump='elinks -dump -dump-width 2048') for converting .html to .txt.
linksdump $.html > $.txt.

pdftotext (2nd favorite choice)
for I in *.pdf ; do pdftotext $I ; done

clit (for converting .lit)
clit whatever.lit whatever/ (dont' forget the end /, otherwise it'll just create a file)

the best thing is to get lit files and strip them with clit. Then run the .html file that most of them have though linksdump and put it on your reader. That'll keep the formatting and everything.

pdftotext is the best but only if you don't need images.

Don't sweat converting to lrf, .txt and .rtf and .pdf is all you need. LRF looks kinda fugly to me to be honest.

Last edited by sealbeater; 11-04-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: more tips.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #8
aegir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Don't sweat converting to lrf, .txt and .rtf and .pdf is all you need. LRF looks kinda fugly to me to be honest.
Well, the problem are metadatas. If I put a .TXT, .RTF (and maybe a .pdf), it won't include metadatas about author, title etc. and so won't be shown ine the index "byauthor" or "by title"...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 AM   #9
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
LRF is basically a compressed XML.

The Reader displayes it much faster than PDF and with formatting/images/etc. (unlike TXT). You can always keep the original source file for future needs, but for putting it on the Reader, I do recommend converting it to LRF.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 AM   #10
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, the problem are metadatas. If I put a .TXT, .RTF (and maybe a .pdf), it won't include metadatas about author, title etc. and so won't be shown ine the index "byauthor" or "by title"...
I don't usually bother with metadata, I either do author-title, or title-#. You can do whatever you want, but that is what works for me.

RTF has metadata but it's usually wrong, pdf is the same but the only thing I use pdf for is comics and I don't bother. i did it for a few trade paperbacks of The Walking Dead, and it looks very nice to have the author field filled out but I just don't care enough to do it with regularity.

Last edited by sealbeater; 11-04-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
LRF is basically a compressed XML.

The Reader displayes it much faster than PDF and with formatting/images/etc. (unlike TXT). You can always keep the original source file for future needs, but for putting it on the Reader, I do recommend converting it to LRF.
I don't know about much of a speed difference, I haven't viewed a comic lrf but I have seen it load pics and I don't think an optimized pdf could display much faster. Also, I do lots of preprocessing beforehand on the images.

The script is sony-convert-archives2pdf, you can search the forum and find it.

I'm not interested in converting files from their native format on my computer (I'll make exceptions for html -> txt or pdf -> txt) but I just have no interest in converting a file from it's very acceptable native format to another that would exist only on my reader. No thanks. I like just coping over or backing up without having multiple formats of the same things (I have this problem already as it is). Also, I don't need images unless it's a comic and I have very good scripts for converting. I don't personally like lrf at all, I like the small font size that .txt brings me. I do have some but only because that's the format I grabbed at the time.

Last edited by sealbeater; 11-04-2008 at 02:25 AM.