Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
shadoooo
shadoooo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo AURA HD
advboot: a new approach to launch nickel or koreader at startup

Hello,
I realized a modified boot procedure for KOBO devices that allows the user to execute custom scripts at startup.
This boot procedure is based on original boot script of KOBO devices,
with minor modifications; it can be installed once forever (until system is upgraded), while custom scripts are in .kobo/advboot subfolders, thus accessible via USB without the need to use KoboRoot.tgz installation procedure for further modifications.
Custom scripts are launched at three stages of the boot process, in a name sorted sequence (details on included readme).
The new boot procedure is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytpa3sfe85..._v1.0.zip?dl=0 for firmware 2.10 - 3.10
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8z4roh6i1k..._3.20.zip?dl=0 for firmware 3.20 and up
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d685p7k2bg..._3.30.zip?dl=0 for firmware 3.30
https://www.dropbox.com/s/edkarwprr0..._3.31.zip?dl=0 for firmware 3.31 and 3.41
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouss4l2j91..._3.50.zip?dl=0 for firmware 3.50

THANKS TO OTHER USERS FOR SUPPORTING ADVBOOT, later files are only a backup of files from other users, with version numbering and changelog updated.

and can be installed simply putting the included KoboRoot.tgz file in .kobo folder, as usual. The procedure itself prepares the system to execute custom scripts, but does nothing more.

I prepared a set of custom scripts that show a simple menu at startup,
allowing the user to choose between KOBO nickel application (standard boot)
and koreader (it must be installed separately).
There's no need to install fmon or other launchers in this way.
This script uses only binary applications already included in KOBO firmware to show the graphical interface, while the bitmaps are included in the images subfolder.
The main advantage over the common fmon (PNG file access monitoring) method
is that it doesn't require nickel to be running at all, so system resources can be dedicated
exclusively to koreader. Furthermore, it doesn't require installation of any file monitor launcher, thus sparing again some extra cpu time for this purpose.
It's available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7wt6u08it..._v1.3.zip?dl=0

As somebody used to modify the rcS for other purposes, I'm including also an example script to start telnet server service during boot.
It can be used as exampled, and can be easily modified if different network configurations are required.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smhgg5vthj...ample.zip?dl=0

I hope this will be useful.
Comments are welcome.
Andrea

Last edited by shadoooo; 05-01-2015 at 11:54 AM.
shadoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 AM   #2
zufre
Connoisseur
zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zufre has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo/Nook ST
Could it be used to launch Android?
zufre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
c123
c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo Aura

Has anyone been brave enough to try this out on an Aura?
c123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
xping
Connoisseur
xping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-books

Device: kobo aura hd, kobo mini, Sony prs-t3
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by c123 View Post
Has anyone been brave enough to try this out on an Aura?

OK.... I am the brave one.

Here are results:

Kobo aura HD firmware 3.1.1 ---> Just perfect!!! works fine

Kobo mini (firmware 3.1.1) ----> Just perfect!!! works fine
Kobo Aura (firmware 3.1.1) ----> well. The aura won't show the startup menu, but if U click above the middle of the screen U will get nickel; if U click under the bottom of the screen U will get Koreader. The problem is that aura instead will show only a black screen on the startup, means problem to display the raw images????
xping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
shadoooo

hello,
to develop a smart loader, the most compatible as possible with kobo environment, I
used applications that are made by kobo developers, and that are already present inside
the kobo devices...
In detail, I used the original rcS script as example, as it calls a secondary script that shows
the black and white small squares while loading, and monitor user touch on defined window areas when user confirmation is needed and nickel is not running (for example to accept upgrades our factory reset).
Maybe there's some difference on how these applications should be called, specially the one
used top show bitmaps on the screen. I will give a look to an update package, and in case I will
propose updated scripts...

Andrea
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
shadoooo

second answer: this script cannot be used to boot androids, as it can modify the boot sequence
of the system after linux kernel us already running.
In fact we are here changing the way the system starts, but the os is always the same.
To have a real dual boot a modification to the primary boot loader (barebox) should be done.
Completely different job...
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
JPG
JPG began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Tried on Touch (firmware 3.1.0)
Black screen on boot, click above the middle of the screen U will get nickel; if U click under the bottom of the screen U will get Koreader.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by xping View Post
OK.... I am the brave one.

Here are results:

Kobo aura HD firmware 3.1.1 ---> Just perfect!!! works fine

Kobo mini (firmware 3.1.1) ----> Just perfect!!! works fine
Kobo Aura (firmware 3.1.1) ----> well. The aura won't show the startup menu, but if U click above the middle of the screen U will get nickel; if U click under the bottom of the screen U will get Koreader. The problem is that aura instead will show only a black screen on the startup, means problem to display the raw images????
JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
shadoooo

I think I found the problem because of for some models didn't show the menu.
Here there's the updated version of the nickel / koreader selection script:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5va1vcdq0d...eader_v1.1.zip

To install the new script, simply extract it on .kobo folder.
No reinstall of the main advboot package is required.

Hope this time all works fine.

Andrea
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
JPG

Tried and v1.1 works 100% on my Kobo Touch, firmware 3.0.1
Nice work
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
xping
Connoisseur
xping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-booksxping has learned how to read e-books

fine with aura (Mark 5) too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
Tried and v1.1 works 100% on my Kobo Touch, firmware 3.0.1
Nice work
Well, now it works also on aura (mark 5).
Old 02-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
shadoooo

Thanks!

Stay tuned for possible improvements.
Andrea
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
JPG

Could the Kobo Start Menu (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233259)
Be run in this way?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #13
shadoooo

well, it could be, but all particular modifications inside the rcS file should be
moved to external scripts...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:13 AM   #14
byblo
Traumatized
byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.byblo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: paper, Kobo Glue
Id like to test this No risk to brick a Glo?
byblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #15
xping
Connoisseur

glo

Quote:
Originally Posted by byblo View Post
Id like to test this No risk to brick a Glo?
I think it should work flawlessy on kobo glo.

If it faults U can make hardware reset.

There are a lot of benefits:

1. Professional look of starting interface where U choose between Standard Kobo software and Koreader
2. No need to keep fmon active (utility that monitors files opened continuosly)
3. Koreader starts out from nikel framework enviroment and has more resources

thxs