Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Bookreader bookmaker program and vista

Hi guys and gals, it's been a while and I have a problem. My computer got fried thursday in a power outtage/serge and it's dead..... so I am on the old DH's dinosaur.

Is the bookreader program or whatever it is called that converts books compatible with vista? I have to decide which system I am going to order, xp or vista so I would like to know if I would lose the use of that program or if it works okay with vista.

Hard deciding which system I want to go for, but need to make up my mind here pretty quick.

Oh I assume the connect software works just fine with it? Disc I have or would I need to download elsewhere.
Thanks.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It seems that Book designer is compatible with Vista. But you do have to follow the directions on how to install it. It's not as easy as with XP. That said, I'd go with XP since Vista is not really ready for prime time till maybe after SP1 is out and verifed to fix the things it should.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would (and did) go for XP. That's why I bought a Dell machine - they are one of the few "big name" manufacturers still supplying XP as an option.

I must respectfully disagree with Jon that "Vista is not ready for prime time". The problem isn't Vista; it's old software which "breaks the rules" that Windows programmers have always been urged to follow. Versions of the astronomy software I wrote 10 years ago for Windows 95 work perfectly on Vista because I was rigorous in following the rules. BD breaks them "big time" and hence struggles to run under Vista. That really is not Vista's fault, but the fault of the BD developer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I don't have many programs that i need to worry about, this machine is actually more a toy for me than anything. I read message boards, visit with friends, do the books.... is there a seperate download for bookdesigner for vista and if so could you share the link. Or is the version I have saved on the usb second drive backed up okay, although i don't recall seeing instructions on how to install for vista.

There is supposed to be a big upate for Vista if I remember correctly from a guy that I do think beta tests it, due in march....

Also I hear there is something in vista which xp has as well, for programs that won't run in that system, you can go put a check mark to make it look like it's running from a previous one. Don't know how reliabe that is. I read my news reader sort of works with vista also, x-news which is free and I always loved that over other programs, was easy for me to use.....

I am so iffy on this so it's a hard decision to make for me right now.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

I found the link and reading about the problems, all I use bookreader for is making a book for the sony e reader, I don't use it for anything else, if that helps.
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I'd go for XP at the moment. After Sp1, I cannot say if that would still hold true. But for now, XP works and works well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

You know I got to thinking, What did I do before bookreader program came? I put them in the connect reader and had it do it for me....... so I have that in the back of my head now too.. for some reason I want to try vista because it is new, and yet I am already familiar with xp. Crazy thoughts huh?
Is that a fickel woman for you or what.
going to read the complaints on that thread and try to make heads or tails of it.

If anyone is having success I would like to hear from you too.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

well after reading all that I think I may have decided to stick with xp for now too. Maybe by the next three years which is my norm for new, all the stuff I do use now will be converted over to Vista. I will still be using my system if it wasn't fried by the power surge..... so I will just get duo core processors, so should still be a faster system plus i will get more ram.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Tt could also be a good idea to buy a surge protector.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Or, even better a small UPS and take care of spikes, brownouts, and temp power failures.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Interestingly enough it was on one. It was hooked to one of those surge control power centers, a belkin..... and the plug still reads that it is getting power. The computer is not. So figure that one out. Either way I like the control center because I can turn my components on and off from there, so nothing is all turned on at one, but I will be going out and getting a very high rated surge protector like DH just got for the tv and steroe system and will plug in my control center into that. That should still protect it in that manner even though the printer, monitor, computer are not directly in that surge protectors plugs right? As long as it's hooked into one should work? That is what DH thinks.

This was a very strong surge whatever we had, we never had anything like that before, first time you heard things pop in the house and did out neighbors hear it. First in 25 years. Hope it never happens again but yes I am going to get it on a surge protector.

Oh and some may call me foolish but I did just order my system and I did get it with VISTA. If I can't use bookdesigner, oh well, I always put my books right into the connect software before bookdesigner was around and it worked okay for me. Not fanatical too much just as long as I can read it.

So will see what happens. Of course I will give it a shot and have read some of install in a directory other than under programs and such.... administer rights and so forth so we shall just see. I will need to get used to the system before I attempt too many installs right away anyways.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
You could put BD on your DH's dinosaur and transfer files back and forth to your Vista PC. That's what I'm doing until we either get a version of BD that works for Vista, or someone comes up with a step-by-step method of installing the present version on a Vista PC in a way that works for everyone. Not the case now.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
Aprilbeginnings
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
You could put BD on your DH's dinosaur and transfer files back and forth to your Vista PC. That's what I'm doing until we either get a version of BD that works for Vista, or someone comes up with a step-by-step method of installing the present version on a Vista PC in a way that works for everyone. Not the case now.

Jim
That was a thought I already thought of too. We be thinking on the same page Jim.