Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Upgrade to Nook Glow Lite Question

Just a quick question. Finally after 4 years I'm going to close down my Sony700 E-reader and upgrade to the new Nook with Glow lite. My question is, will I be able to transfer my E-Pub books over from the Sony to the Nook. The books are backed up on the PC in E-Pub format (downloaded from the Sony ebook site). Hope I don't lose my library with this upgrade.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
I am pretty sure you will need to do a conversion from a Sony ePub to a B&N ePub for them to transfer. ePubs can be generic, but the major players customize the formats to make them readable exclusively on their platforms. They add a form of DRM to protect their rights (not yours) and their hold on your purchasing power.
I believe you will have to find a utility on the internet that allows you to strip off this customization then run it through calibre to recode it for the B&N readers.

There is a site called "makeuseof" on the web at www.makeuseof.com that writes and publishes a number of "self-help" manuals on many computer related subjects. One such manual is on the program calibre. Its cheap (free for download) and might be useful to you.

If I am wrong on this, I hope the more educated folks will chime in and provide corrections. I will be sure to learn from them as well.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Your Sony books will transfer fine without you having to do anything. I've transferred many a Sony book to a nook without issue.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Many thanks to both responders, I'll get back with a report after the upgrade and transfer.

Hughdal
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Your Sony books will transfer fine without you having to do anything. I've transferred many a Sony book to a nook without issue.

However, if they're side-loaded onto the Nook, then you may have to first load them into calibre in order to have the covers appear.

If I'm wrong, someone here please correct me.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
If there's any formatting issues whatsoever, the easy solution is Calibre's epub to epub conversion. If there's a lot of them, it isn't a bad idea to do a batch conversion anyway, just because.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
Hughdal
Connoisseur

Opps. After I copied my Sony epub books over to my Nook with Glow Light birthday present I get "Error dialog: User not activated" message when I try to open (read) them. I Click [OK] and get thrown back to the library screen. Any suggestions? I'm just doing a copy / paste from my PC's [My Books] folder to the Nook's [Books] folder.

Hughdal (Another year older)
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
Opps. After I copied my Sony epub books over to my Nook with Glow Light birthday present I get "Error dialog: User not activated" message when I try to open (read) them. I Click [OK] and get thrown back to the library screen. Any suggestions? I'm just doing a copy / paste from my PC's [My Books] folder to the Nook's [Books] folder.

Hughdal (Another year older)
Open Adobe Digital Editions with your account, hook up your Nook and activate the device...
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Hughdal
Connoisseur

Susaz - it worked! Thank you. My birthday is complete.

Hughdal
Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Hughdal
Connoisseur

Two weeks in with the Nook with Glow Light. I love it. On my last day with the Sony PRS700 I was at 20 point type, light at full strength, 3 hour battery life and still squinting. New Tech proverb: "You know when it's time to upgrade after the upgrade." Anybody want to buy 2 cheap PRS700's.

Hughdal