Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #31
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
There are no page numbers in the margins so at least they left them off. Progress bar flashes on bottom as before.

I'm sure this is just a patch before a major system overhaul is released.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #32
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ya, in the end it will be an option to turn the numbers in the margins back on. That'd be just my luck when I want to get rid of the progress bar (which I already modded away except for the black bar itself).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #33
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
So you have a black progress bar at the bottom of your screen at all times? What firmware are you running again?
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #34
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
There are no page numbers in the margins so at least they left them off. Progress bar flashes on bottom as before.

I'm sure this is just a patch before a major system overhaul is released.
Thanks for the information CJJ. I still think I would only update if their was improved font rendering, a bugs fix, or better dictionary/text display options in the mix.

I absolutely love the way my Story HD is set up now, so until something major happens (and I doubt it will), my wifi will be staying off and all ebooks will be side-loaded via an SD card.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #35
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not all the time there, no, but every time I flip the page, it flashes that bar in and out, which I found distracting, and it leaves a little ghosting, so I removed it as much as possible. The numbers and the border around the bar are actually graphics, so I replaced them with transparent ones (thus they vanish entirely), but the bar itself is computed by the device / hardcoded, so I haven't found a way to remove that also.

I could add a thousand empty pages to each book so the bar would always stay one pixel thin throughout the book, but that's not really practical.

And then they go and add a page numbers off language string to the language file but no actual setting or code to go with it to actually disable it. So you're like yay when you discover those language strings but meh when there's nothing behind it.

I'm happy with the device also (probably would be less happy if I hadn't modded it), but for its lack of settings - since they added that progress bar afterwards with a firmware update not sure which version, they should've added a setting for it at the same time, but no... oh well
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Isles8008
Connoisseur

My status bar flashes on the bottom of the screen for a brief moment then disappears. I guess I kind of tune it out as I don't notice it much, and my screen does not have the ghosting issues. Unfortunately, no two E Ink screens are alike in this regard; some have more problems with ghosting than others.

Yes, the Story HD is a nice simple eReader. Nothing fancy, but it is very light and I love having the physical keyboard and HD screen. I actually really love the sound of the key clicks also. It's like an auditory recognition of progress lol.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #37
frostschutz
Linux User

A detailed list of changes in 1.33 appeared on the iriver homepage:

Quote:
1. Reflection of Google store service termination.

(1) Replacing “Google store menu” in main display to Google sign-in function

(2) Adding guiding pop-up menu in approaching “Google store menu”

(3) Deleting “google store menu in option menu.

(4) Deleting “ Buy this book” menu in option menu of viewer when you read sample books.

(5) Deleting pop up message which shows “buy sample books” after reading sample books.

(6) Changing welcome screen
Old 12-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #38
Isles8008
Connoisseur

Thanks for the update frostschutz. I think I'll pass on 1.33.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #39
cgugl
cgugl began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
A detailed list of changes in 1.33 appeared on the iriver homepage:
I have noticed another feature of the upgrade.
Some days ago i have upgraded my iriver story hd to the newer firmware 1.33.
Now, the clock seems to work even if the unit is turned off for a long time.
So, I have set the auto power off to the minimum !!

Last edited by cgugl; 01-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
cgugl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #40
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgugl View Post
I have noticed another feature of the upgrade.
Some days ago i have upgraded my iriver story hd to the newer firmware 1.33.
Now, the clock seems to work even if the unit is turned off for a long time.
So, I have set the auto power off to the minimum !!
That's interesting. I've had my Story HD for over a year and have never had a problem with the clock. I think the longest it's been completely shut down is 2-3 weeks. Maybe you had a software glitch which was fixed by the restart after update? I don't know. Just glad it's working for you.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #41
frostschutz
Linux User

Brace yourselves... 1.34 is coming.

It changes the string "Updating your iriver Story HD ... please wait"

to "Updating your iriver Story HD ... Recommended less than 2000 files"

I think that's the only change, actually. They didn't even change it for all languages, just English and Chinese.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
CJJ
Zealot

Huh? What does it mean? Are they implying a file limit of 2000 rather than memory space? Glad I didn't spring for a 32 Gig SD card. Even my 8 gig seems pointless if this is what's implied.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
frostschutz
Linux User

I don't know, really. The chinese version says:

为正常启动(1分钟内),卡内请保存2000本以内
的文件,超过时会待机很长时间(5小时以上).

There's no change in functionality whatsoever so... *shrug* the change is purely cosmetic. Maybe they found a bug that was severe enough to warn about instead of actually fixing it? But then again we already know about bugs (like filename too long bug) that forces you to put all books on SD card anyway because if you have a bad book in internal memory, the device is bricked. And that bug triggers even with just a single book, so it doesn't have anything to do with 2000 files...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #44
CJJ
Zealot

Ok, Thanks much
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #45
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I have over 2000. No idea what the message means.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote