Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
guttaperk
guttaperk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Offline reader for a small child

Hi, guys.

I'm looking for an ebook reader for a small child. This reader will be his, and he will have constant, unsupervised access to it.

I am therefore looking for an ebook reader that cannot access the internet.

I understand that the Kindle has parental controls, but what other options should I consider? Rather than buying a feature that we don't want or need and then password-locking it, I'd really prefer buying a simple reader that has no Wi-Fi or other internet capability.

Any suggestions?
guttaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
None of the readers with WiFi can access the Internet unless you set it up with your W-LAN password, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not aware of any somewhat current readers or tablets without W-LAN.

How young is the child we're talking about? E-ink readers are sadly rather fragile (the screen can easily crack under pressure or torsion) so for a young child a (cheap) tablet might be a better choice.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I second Abtacha. Digital readers that we would recommend for adults would not be good for a child. The kid'll break it. Get the Leap Pad for a child. It's far more durable and will have books aimed for kids. Anything geared towards an adult will be far too fragile for a child. They'll break it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Kobo are bringing out a "kids" account. I don't know the full details, but it does limit the net access on their devices. The browser is disabled, so they can't get on the net. They have access to the Kobo shop, but it is limited to "kidsafe" books. And I believe you can set an "allowance" so they can buy books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Leap Pads (last time I looked at them, at least) might look like an ok device on the surface, but you pay a fortune for software/books/etc. A cheapish but durable regular tablet in a good protective case, combined with supervision, can be a better long-term choice. I'm assuming, since you said "small child", that the child isn't actually unsupervised.

Just don't give the kid your wifi password, and set the device to not remember it.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
What about the Wexler Flex? I don't have experience with this ereader, but I have recently bought one from ebay. The top half is flexible and I think it is supposed to not be prone to breaking due to drops like glass screened ereaders are. It takes epub, fb2, doc, html, and rtf formats, to name a few. It also has no wifi capability. It is being sold by at least two sellers on ebay for around $70, (that's with shipping.) I don't know if this suits your needs, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Is your child old enough to at least charge the device unsupervised? If so, then you might want to consider the Nook HD 7" tablet. It has gorilla glass. I find it pretty sturdy. And you can set up kids accounts on the device that won't allow internet access. It allows multiple accounts. You could also put a game or two on it to let him or her have some fun in between reading sessions! There are tons of free games available via Google Play.

The thing is, it would have to be charged probably once every day or two. But he or she can just plug it in at night and it would be all ready to go in the morning.

Right now a second hand or refurbished Nook HD 7" can be had for about $100 on ebay. Many refurbs are even offered with a 1-year warranty. A brand new Nook HD is $129 for the 8gb model. They all have sd card slots to expand the space.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Leap Pads (last time I looked at them, at least) might look like an ok device on the surface, but you pay a fortune for software/books/etc. A cheapish but durable regular tablet in a good protective case, combined with supervision, can be a better long-term choice. I'm assuming, since you said "small child", that the child isn't actually unsupervised.

Just don't give the kid your wifi password, and set the device to not remember it.
From the OP:

"I'm looking for an ebook reader for a small child. This reader will be his, and he will have constant, unsupervised access to it."
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
From the OP:

"I'm looking for an ebook reader for a small child. This reader will be his, and he will have constant, unsupervised access to it."
Well, yes. I'm just trying to parse that. Because "small child", to me, means smaller than school age, and no child of that age should ever be unsupervised. Perhaps the OP could actually tell us the age, and we wouldn't all be fumbling about not knowing whether we're talking about a 2 year old or a 10 year old here.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Seems like you have a grasp of Calibre? Are you going to be using it to add to the reader?

I would say that the original Nexus 7 would be the best choice.

There is too much stuff for a kid to mess with in all the e-inks, iPad, and the Kindle Fire. Generally everything not running stock Android has the same issue.

But if you took the Nexus 7, rooted it, and then delete a majority of system apps and included stuff, you can pretty much kill the internet.

Get a copy of Apex Launcher, set it up so no menus can lead to the system settings, and then remove access to the app drawer.

And then add your eReader app of choice.

There's also an app that lets you set an app as the "launcher".
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My younger child (4 now) has a Nook Color she got as a gift a year ago, and has an iPad as well. It's pretty easy to control content by just requiring a password when you purchase something. She hasn't broken either and she's a pretty rough-and-tumble kid.

It has access to the internet through Safari, but she has not had any interest in that. She just likes the apps and e-books and I choose those.

I don't want to talk you out of your concerns. I just want to share my experience as a parent of a young child.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
All the eink readers have access to the web. The Nook Simple Touch limits internet access to Barnes and Noble ONLY and you can password protect that so no purchases can be made. There is no option to surf on the internet.

The Kindle 6 inch also can allow you to password protect the parental controls, but you should check the unit now and then as very often, kids will find a way around stuff and tell their friends.

The social options are extremely limited to sharing your Lend me Items - again, limited by using the password. Nook Simple Touch is more durable than Kindle, in my opinion. The only disadvantage is if this child is of the age where picture books are still more important, everything is black and white, not color.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My brother got his kids Nook HDs and they had some kid account under his account that didn't allow them to do much but I don't know the specifics.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
For the price, I'd go for a Nook Simple Touch, with or without GlowLight, currently on sale for $59 and $79 respectively, through 10/26.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote