Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
usbNetwork doesn't work on my Kindle DXG. Help needed.

Dear all,

I've downloaded usbNetwork hack from here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...Network+kindle

I did the following steps:
1) installed update update_usbnetwork_0.39.N_dxg_install.bin
2) rebooted my kindle
3) launched command ;debugOn
4) launched command ~help
this command displayed a list of commands, among which the last one was ~usbNetwork
5) launched command ~usbNetwork
6) connected my USB cable to kindle device.

I expected to see one more network adapter in my Win7 (x86) where I should put IP = 192.168.2.1, and my kindle will be 192.168.2.2.

But unfortunately, kindle is recognized as Flash Disk after connecting USB. And I have no idea what to do.

Can anyone help me? What am I doing wrong?
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor View Post
1) installed update update_usbnetwork_0.39.N_dxg_install.bin
2) rebooted my kindle
What do you mean by "installed update_usbnetwork_0.39.N_dxg_install.bin"?? did you use menu>settings>menu>update ?
or just copy the file then restart?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
What do you mean by "installed update_usbnetwork_0.39.N_dxg_install.bin"?? did you use menu>settings>menu>update ?
or just copy the file then restart?
I used menu>settings>menu>update.
It has output me a message that update is being installed. After reboot I see a folder usbnet on my kindle (which did not exist before). In this folder there are subfolders bin, empty, etc, run and files DISABLED_auto, info.txt, usbnetwork_install.log.

The last file has this content:

usbnetwork v0.39.N, Thu Sep 13 21:41:49 EEST 2012
symbolic link /test/bin/usbnetwork -> /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork already exists, skipping...
Done!

So, it seems that everything is fine with installation, right?

However, after running command ~usbNetwork the device is recognized as flash...

I've just tried on another computer with Win7 x64 - it is also recognized as flash disk there.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Okay I'll ask. Does it do this on Linux?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor View Post
However, after running command ~usbNetwork the device is recognized as flash...

I've just tried on another computer with Win7 x64 - it is also recognized as flash disk there.
I answered in the other thread. The DX commands start with a backquote (`), not a tilde (~). Try the correct (for the DX) `usbNetwork command.

Look at the output of the ~help command again (with a tilde), and notice the first character of the commands.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
ihor
Enthusiast

I looked very carefully on the output of ~help command - it shows all commands with ~ sign before them. If you don't believe - I can make a photo right now.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ihor: In case you're doubting GM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by README_FIRST.txt
* And now we can enable usbnet:

~usbNetwork

(Or `usbNetwork on FW 2.x)
Note: if you're using the FW 3.x-on-DXG thing: It's broken there. Dunno why, don't care. Use launchpad.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
ihor
Enthusiast

Yes, I've updated my firmware on 3.2.1 long ago, and everything works fine.

So, just because I have 3.2.1, I will not have usbNetwork working fine?

You are mentioning launchpad. I have it. But I have no idea how to construct ini file to run the ~usbNetwork. Can you give me a hint?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ihor: Nope, the only thing broken is the usbNetwork private command. Hence the launchpad workaround .

I dimly remember it being a somewhat default workaround in launchpad? Something with the N key in it.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the AUTO file on my DX and DXG, so they always boot with usbNetwork enabled.

I usually just rename AUTO and then reboot when I want the USB Drive back.

ihor can do like I did if he does not want to use launchpad.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Apparently, not a default shortcut:

Drop in launchpad/usbnet.ini
Code:
[Actions]
# Toggle USB Network
Shift N = !/test/bin/usbnetwork
(Untested, I don't use launchpad).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
ihor
Enthusiast

I have a progress.

I added a line to launchpad.ini:
Shift N = !/test/bin/usbnetwork

rebooted. Then pressed Shift Shift N, attached USB cable. Windows notifies me that there is a new device for which the driver is NOT found.

In the device manager I see RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget in "other devices" with no driver.

Question: how to find the proper driver? Where it is?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ihor: Don't use Windows, no idea. It probably came up a couple of times, the search button is your friend. (Although I'm pretty sure a windows-update aware Windows 7 should pick the right driver automatically from the ether, at least).

EDIT: There's Windows .inf files in the Linux tree (Documentation/usb/), if it helps.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-13-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
geekmaster

Seeing as RNDIS is a Microsoft Proprietary "virtual ethernet" USB protocol, it should be built-in, or you should be able to get it from Microsoft. Google can help too.

Which version you need depends on which version of Windows your are running, and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Or, try this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=18
Quote:
(worked for me on Windows 7 32 bit, hope it helps you)

Dude, go to your device manager.
Find the Device with the little ? and then maybe a yellow !.
Right click that device and select Update Driver.
When the window pops up (on Windows 7 32bit), select, Browse My Computer for driver software, then on the next screen, click on the bottom that says, LET ME PICK.
Then it will ask you the device type.
Here you go down to Network Adapters.
Then when it asks you to select manufacturer, skip Microsoft and select Microsoft Corporation.
Then, select Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
Hit next, it will say it's not safe, etc etc, proceed to install it.

You should be set. I hope that helps.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@geekmaster: Yep, apparently, it's built-in, but some setups may need a bit of a poke in the eye with the linux.inf found in Documentation/usb/ in the Linux source tree .