Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Red face Suggest First contact SF novels and more Verner Vinge like authors please

Hi all

I have read almost all of verner vinge's stuff and I keep coming back to his A Fire Upon the Deep.

I would like to read more of the above kind of novels. Please suggest
Specially for two things -

1. First contact related - new kind of life and discovery and understanding and communication and comparison etc for e.g. the Tines understanding the children and their dataset

2. Space civilizations and Technology similar in vinge's work

doesn't have to be exactly same
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
For first encounters with weird aliens, you should give James White's Sector General books a try-- though it is older material with an older writing style.

For the type of civilizations, try Iain Bank's Culture books, or Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, or Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space books, or Gregory Benford's Galactic Center Saga books, or Dan Simmon's Hyperion Cantos series, or Charles Stross'eses Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise. What you are looking for (for the sake of googling) is post-human, post-singularity settings.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

@ardeegee thanks I will look into them. Hope I find some real interesting stuff
Old 04-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
James White is a great recommendation and I second it.

I'd also go for Ursula LeGuin's Hanish Cycle. Left Hand of the Darkness is Hugo award winner.
The Word for World is Forest is another gem not to be missed.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell is an excellent 'first contact' novel with a literary/philosophical flavour. Basically, while the government is arguing about what to do when they discover another sentient life, the Jesuits send a private ship out. One survivor comes back, disfigured and traumatized. The novel goes back and forth between his treatment in the 'present day' and flashbacks to where exactly everything went wrong.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
All Seated On The Ground by Connie Willis is an amusing first contact novella that won a Hugo award a couple of years ago.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
I don't think that these will be of the same intricacy but others may like them.

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Worldwar: In the Balance by Harry Turtledove
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
What came to my mind instantly are the Brothers Strugatzki and their story "Baby" or "Little One" which was published in the US under the telling title "Space Mowgli" in: Strugatsky, Arkady and Boris. Escape Attempt (Best of Soviet Science Fiction) translated by Roger DeGaris. New York: Macmillan Pub Co, May 14, 1982, 321 pp. ISBN 0-02-615250-9. LCCN: 82000029.

Sadly there seem to be no ebooks of this story or the other writings of the Strugatzkis available (yet). It's the same with the works of the late Polish grandmaster of SF - Stanislaw Lem. A real pity!
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just went looking to see if Fire Upon the Deep was available in ebook form and found this on Amazon:

A Fire Upon The Deep (Kindle Edition)
by Vernor Vinge (Author)

Kindle Price: $7.99 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
Sold by: Macmillan
This price was set by the publisher

Apparently it was about $1.50 cheaper earlier according to Inkmesh search (which has the "old" price).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
+1 for Iain Banks' Culture novels.

For a first contact novel, my personal favourite is Contact by Carl Sagan.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 AM   #11
rollercoaster
Zealot

@everyone

Gosh! thanks you everyone. I am really happy and now I have so much stuff to add to my reading list

I have an event coming and I will be telling my firiends which books/ebooks to gift me
Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #12
rollercoaster
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just went looking to see if Fire Upon the Deep was available in ebook form and found this on Amazon:

A Fire Upon The Deep (Kindle Edition)
by Vernor Vinge (Author)

Kindle Price: $7.99 & includes wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
Sold by: Macmillan
This price was set by the publisher

Apparently it was about $1.50 cheaper earlier according to Inkmesh search (which has the "old" price).
This is one book I will never get tired of picking up and reading a few pages of. I dont know why
Old 04-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
My favorite first-contact story is The Color of Distance by Amy Thompson.
It has a sequel, which was OK, but I liked the first book the best.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
James Blish - A case of Conscience
Isaac Asimov - The Gods Themselves - First contact between two civilizations that don't exactly meet
James Gunn - The Listeners - Depends on what kind of contact contact means.
(And yes, THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE rocks!) Hard to believe its 40 years old.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
rollercoaster
Zealot

I started reading James White's "Hospital Station". I am on the second story 'Sector General' and it makes me sad when the station is hit by the spaceship.

It is an oddly engaging book. Thanks @ardeegee

Only the word 'educator tape' gives away its era. I wonder what people in the future will think when current memory technology is replaced by something radically differnt

Last edited by rollercoaster; 04-23-2010 at 03:21 AM.

Tags
first contact, science fiction, suggest, verner vinge