Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 07-29-2014, 03:08 AM   #1
THenrich
THenrich began at the beginning.

Device: Sony XPeria
Make job progress indicator more useful

Many times when I convert a book the spinning job progress indicator just spins forever. I have no idea if it's doing any work or the job is stuck which happens many times.

The indicator needs to show the actual progress either in terms of some kind of percentage or just something like number of pages processed. I need to know if Calibre is doing real work or it went into la la land. Otherwise I am just wasting my time waiting for it to finish when in reality it's not doing anything and it's never going to finish.
THenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre never goes into la la land. If the job is running, that means it is doing work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
THenrich

There are times when the job never finished. Regardless, don't you think my suggestions improve the user experience?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@THenrich - conversions have been known to take 24 hours and more. If you can use other calibre features - save to disk, send to device, metadata edit then calibre is working. The nature of conversions is that they are not linear, progress is stepwise, 1%, 47% and 86% are a common waypoints.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenrich View Post
Many times when I convert a book the spinning job progress indicator just spins forever. I have no idea if it's doing any work or the job is stuck which happens many times.

The indicator needs to show the actual progress either in terms of some kind of percentage or just something like number of pages processed. I need to know if Calibre is doing real work or it went into la la land. Otherwise I am just wasting my time waiting for it to finish when in reality it's not doing anything and it's never going to finish.
Click on the jobs spinning wheel you get this display.

bernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2014-07-30 00:23:27.png
Views:	177
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	126126  
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #6
THenrich

OK. I didn't know there's such a screen. Maybe it should show up when the job starts. This way the user knows about it without thinking and without discoverability. Then they can hide it if they don't want it.

@BetterRed: Other features working surely does not mean all conversions should work. These features are not related.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenrich View Post
@BetterRed: Other features working surely does not mean all conversions should work. These features are not related.
They are in the same single threaded executable, so if the conversion job doesn't yield then nothing else gets a look in, the fact that it does yield is a pretty good indication that its working as it should. As I previously wrote conversions have been known to take more than 24+ hours to reach a successful termination.

If you have a conversion that you think is 'going into la la land' run calibre in debug mode and post the log in the Conversions subforum, also see How to ask a question about conversion problems

You can also do conversions at the command line - see ebook-convert — calibre User Manual

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote