Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #76
m8cb0y
m8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipsem8cb0y can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo AuraHD Limited Edition
KT Photo - Landscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFOO View Post
Could someone do me a favor and take a screenshot of their Touch in landscape mode? I know how silly this request sounds but I would appreciate it.
Is this more or less what you were looking for? I used the "Kindle Guide" ebook as I was trying not to violate any copyrights (probably did just using that, oops )

Click image for larger version

Name:	KT landscape.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	85301

--m8cb0y
...long-time lurker who finally decided to create an account to help someone out...

Last edited by m8cb0y; 04-14-2012 at 08:30 PM.
m8cb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #77
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanteoma View Post
It's working for me, and it's working when I switched the display language, too. But when the display is in "landscape" mode, the text-to-speech option doesn't appear. Maybe that's your problem?
When in landscape you have to scroll the menu to see TTS option, but it is there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #78
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seems to me one could only zoom to full page before. Now you can zoom in further and pan, like Fire and the mobile apps.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #79
CedarPointer
CedarPointer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I am really happy with this update! Page refreshing seems noticeably faster and the whole interface seems a lot more responsive. And I've been hoping for landscape mode for a while. Thanks, Amazon!!
CedarPointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #80
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
I have mostly large computer books on my kindle. this update is a disaster as the new go to works poorly with the table of contents. whereas it the past I could go to a chapter, then a subsection, now some books only list by subsection with no reference to chapter and some now just have chapters and no subsection.

Since I cannot navigate large books this way, if amazon does not fix this I will request that every book I purchased since getting the touch be refunded.

for little old regular paperbacks I am sure this go to was an improvement but it really broke things for me.
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #81
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
I have mostly large computer books on my kindle. this update is a disaster as the new go to works poorly with the table of contents. whereas it the past I could go to a chapter, then a subsection, now some books only list by subsection with no reference to chapter and some now just have chapters and no subsection.

Since I cannot navigate large books this way, if amazon does not fix this I will request that every book I purchased since getting the touch be refunded.

for little old regular paperbacks I am sure this go to was an improvement but it really broke things for me.
You can still use the hyperlinked TOC as before. If you scroll to the top of the GoTo list there is probably an entry to take you there, or close to it. Set a bookmark to make it easier to get there.

The publisher may not have taken enough care when defining the navlist. Otherwise it would be much better than the hyperlinked TOC for navigating.

I have a number of O'Reilly books, and these are better than ever with the new navigation.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #82
isrealjb
isrealjb began at the beginning.

screensavers

hey guys,
i recently upgraded my kindle touch to 5.1 and when i press the power button no screensaver shows it just locks the screen....is this normal?

the same thing happens when i turn it off. I tried to reset it but the same thing happened
isrealjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #83
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by isrealjb View Post
hey guys,
i recently upgraded my kindle touch to 5.1 and when i press the power button no screensaver shows it just locks the screen....is this normal?

the same thing happens when i turn it off. I tried to reset it but the same thing happened
Uninstall the screensaver hack if any
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #84
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You can still use the hyperlinked TOC as before. If you scroll to the top of the GoTo list there is probably an entry to take you there, or close to it. Set a bookmark to make it easier to get there.

The publisher may not have taken enough care when defining the navlist. Otherwise it would be much better than the hyperlinked TOC for navigating.

I have a number of O'Reilly books, and these are better than ever with the new navigation.
unfortunately for me it is harder, there is no easy way to see toc I have to go to the beginning of the book then manually swipe each page to the toc

and since I cant quickly move through pages (like on a sony or a nook) even this is very time consuming.

I hope they put the toc back (and keep the go to break out of sections as well).
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #85
leimir
leimir began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
after all ... what do you think? update to 5.1.0 or keeping KT jailbreaked?
leimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #86
wolftail
Connoisseur
wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!wolftail will blow your mind, man!

Wink Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by leimir View Post
after all ... what do you think? update to 5.1.0 or keeping KT jailbreaked?
Why not both? :P
You can jailbreak 5.1 . Check the Wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method
wolftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #87
leimir
leimir began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
leimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #88
daletsteele
Enthusiast
daletsteele began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7", iPhone 10, iMac, Kindle Paperwhite
Good discussion and I too am quite happy with all the new features on my Touch. One thing that hasn't changed is that I am unable to share text/comments via Twitter unless I do so with an Amazon downloaded book. All my other material reaches the Kindle via Calibre. I've talked to Amazon about this but they were unable to resolve it. Do others have this problem? I've been assuming that Amazon did it intentionally to steer readers to their products.

Thanks, Dale
daletsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #89
InsulinJunkie72
Enthusiast
InsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheeseInsulinJunkie72 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook HD+
One thing I've noticed with the new KF8 support on the Touch - it doesn't seem to support line-height adjustments in code, and the default spacing is much larger than that of an old-school MOBI file.

I created some simple sample KF8 files using Kindle Previewer 2.4 (trying both EPUB and HTML as sources). Some with no styling, some with trying to adjust line-height in CSS - no difference on the Touch.

The KF8 sample files from Amazon exhibit the same behavior (nearly double-spaced), as well.

Still adjustable from the Aa menu, but it's kind of jarring if you read a KF8 book and then switch to a regular old-school MOBI.

Most other KF8 features I've tried (like small-caps, drop-caps) seem supported, though.
InsulinJunkie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 AM   #90
alessandro_q
alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle 3
Now that we have landscape mode, what is the best way to read comics? In mobi format, my converts from cbz just shrink and centre.
alessandro_q is offline   Reply With Quote