Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
pollo
pollo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
what kindle for multiple language user?

Hello there, I'm trying to get my 15y old daughter a Kindle for Christmas, but i'm a bit confused as to what to chose, given her needs. She'd be reading English, French ad Italian books and wanting to access dictionaries in the relevant languages, as well as taking quite a few notes.
From browsing through various reviews, it seem to me that ideally i'd need a merge between the Kindle Keyboard (ease of note-taking) and the Kindle Touch (multiple languages support): could anyone point me in the right direction?!
Also,I was thinking of buying the device in the US (price reasons!) for use mainly in Italy and the UK: does that compound the problem? Beside a US address (a friend's) would i also need a US credit card in order to then be able to buy any ebook?
Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.
P. (tech-unsavvy mum!)
pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know what multiple-language support problems you're thinking of with the Kindle Keyboard. I don't know of any, but perhaps I've missed something.

A US-bought Kindle is now just like any other Kindle. You can register it with any Amazon account, US or UK or even a new italian one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
pollo
pollo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
what kindle for multiple language user

i read that while with KTouch - whatever the language - if you put your cursor in front of the word you want to look up in the dictionary, it accesses the relevant dictionary, this is not the case with KK. Did i misunderstand?
If that's the case, given my daughter's needs you'd advice to get the KK or is there some other feature that makes KT more desirable? Im not such a fan of touch-screens but i wonder that being a newer model the older KK might not get any more software upgrades or be discontinued altogether.
thanks.
P.
pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollo View Post
i read that while with KTouch - whatever the language - if you put your cursor in front of the word you want to look up in the dictionary, it accesses the relevant dictionary, this is not the case with KK. Did i misunderstand?
If that's the case, given my daughter's needs you'd advice to get the KK or is there some other feature that makes KT more desirable? Im not such a fan of touch-screens but i wonder that being a newer model the older KK might not get any more software upgrades or be discontinued altogether.
thanks.
P.
On the KK the appropriate language dictionary for the language of the book is consulted. I didn't know the KT did anything different. Looking into it, it seems that you're right - for English language books, the KT does try to look up foreign language words in foreign language dictionaries. But it seems that it might have problems with books that are correctly coded as their foreign language.

Whether the KK will get any more firmware updates is an open question. Amazon have stated that their new format, KF8, will be supported by all current models, but haven't clarified whether that includes the (still shipping) KK models. My guess is that it does, and that we will see a firmware update for the KK to support KF8.

I don't have any experience taking notes on the KK or the KT, so I can't comment on how easy it is on the KT's virtual keyboard.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle