Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
TopCat
TopCat began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question Overlapping text when converting html to mobi/epub

I had PDF I scanned, without OCR initially. Today I decided to use ABBYY to OCR the book and export it to html, which I assumed would be easier to convert to .mobi. However, the exported html copy of the book has these huge gaps pertaining to the borders between the text on sequential pages. This causes Calibre to overlap mounds of text when converting to mobi or epub. I tried playing around with the conversion options, but haven't stumbled upon a way to have it ignore/remove that white space. Is there a way to do that in Calibre?

Before
After

Last edited by TopCat; 11-27-2011 at 02:09 PM.
TopCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Enable heuristics - ABBYY has some ugly markup that tries to look exactly like the original book, and this markup is often quite screwy and fails to work as designed. The huge gap is a page break, you can also enable unwrap lines with heuristics. The Heuristics routines try to preserve as much of the original formatting as possible while cleaning out the garbage.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
TopCat
TopCat began at the beginning.

Heuristics didn't do anything to fix the problem, unfortunately. Given that I'm using a trial of ABBYY, do you have any suggestions on a neater OCR app that can help with the transition from textual PDF to mobi/epub?
TopCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I think ABBYY is probably the best in terms of maintaining the original formatting unfortunately. If you want you could open a bug, attach the original ABBYY generated html book, mark it private, and have Kovid assign it to me. I maintain the function that attempts to clean up ABBYY markup, but to be honest it's had limited testing, just a few of my own docs from that I'd converted, and it's possible different versions of ABBYY generated markup won't work with the function.

Last edited by ldolse; 11-28-2011 at 03:23 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have had some better results using ABBYY to convert to RTF, then to the destination format. It's not perfect, but it does seem to do a better job with page breaks.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert