Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Cool I finally got a PRS-505

I got my Sony PRS-505 late last week from JandR.com. It was the least expensive net price and I usually get stuff from them in 2-3 days. I got a surprise; when I authorized it with the eBook store, I got an error that the reader was already authorized. Reauthorization only took a couple of mouse clicks, so no big deal. Later, I found a directory with about 50 books that appear to be Mobi with DRM. Physically, the reader looks brand new, but I am sure it is used!

Is this a common practice?

Norm
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Not unheard of:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25942

Glad you got it sorted out.

Welcome aboard!

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
Gfinch
Junky
Gfinch is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 and REB-1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
I got my Sony PRS-505 late last week from JandR.com. It was the least expensive net price and I usually get stuff from them in 2-3 days. I got a surprise; when I authorized it with the eBook store, I got an error that the reader was already authorized. Reauthorization only took a couple of mouse clicks, so no big deal. Later, I found a directory with about 50 books that appear to be Mobi with DRM. Physically, the reader looks brand new, but I am sure it is used!

Norm
The lowest I have seen is vanns.com at $269.00 plus shipping.
Gfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post

Norm
Mobipocket format eBooks cannot be used on a 505. So why would they be on it? That makes no sense. You should give J&R a call and tell them of the problem and that you got a used 505 instead of a new one and you want them to replace it with a new one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I thought about that, but physically, my 505 was perfect. I deleted the extra files, reauthorized the reader, and loaded some books. You know the old saying, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush..."
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
prs-505, used reader