Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Is this another bug ?

Decided to keep my Glo, prefer the smaller font over the kindle. Anyway decided to treat my Glo to a sleepcover, but I have noticed a annoying issue. If I open the cover, the kobo wakes up, great, but I start reading and as I get to the bottom of the page it sleeps again on me. More annoying, when you wake it back up the light is off, pretty hard when the room is pitchblack. I have found a work around of touching the screen once stops its from doing this, but I don't expect to do that.
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
When you first open it it goes to sleep pretty fast...just swipe the screen up or down (which doesn't change anything) so it knows you're really there and it wasn't opened by mistake. A pain, yes, but it will stay awake the normal amount of time you have set in the settings.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've noticed that too. Is that a feature?

Anyway, thanks for the advice, selina4books.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Yes, it is a design feature - it's so if your smart cover opens accidentally, in a bag for example, your battery doesn't run down. Swipe it to let it know you are really there!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Normally it times out after about 30 seconds, if there's no screen input at all, and the reader will shut itself off. But in just testing mine now to see the time limit, I couldn't get it to turn off at all like it often does if I don't start reading quick enough. The light only just went out after about 1:30 minutes with no input.

Anyway, it should work that the reader shuts off if no input within 30 seconds, but it seems shockingly that it's not a reliable feature.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Im sure it could be a good feature, especially if your walking around an airport, the last thing you want is to get on a flight to find the battery gone. Buy my main gripe is the fact that when it shuts its sef off again, next time you use it the light has been set to off. If your in the dark then your knackered.

When I was testing before (as I thought it was the sleep cover causing it to go off) it looks like it takes about 2 - 3 mins to go off, if I make a input then it lasts the set 15 mins.

Just a pain as if the baby is up and down then I am going to have to be hitting the screen all the time. The sleep cover was planned to make it getting turning on and off easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Normally it times out after about 30 seconds, if there's no screen input at all, and the reader will shut itself off. But in just testing mine now to see the time limit, I couldn't get it to turn off at all like it often does if I don't start reading quick enough. The light only just went out after about 1:30 minutes with no input.

Anyway, it should work that the reader shuts off if no input within 30 seconds, but it seems shockingly that it's not a reliable feature.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
. Buy my main gripe is the fact that when it shuts its sef off again, next time you use it the light has been set to off. If your in the dark then your knackered.
Hardly knackered - it should be easy to locate the light button on the top edge by touch, that's what I do, though I do have a Gecko sleep cover and the top cut-out makes locating the buttons a breeze.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The time it takes to go to sleep after you open the cover and do not touch the screen is proportional to your sleep timeout setting.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
stethorn
Connoisseur

If i set it not to sleep will this stop this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
The time it takes to go to sleep after you open the cover and do not touch the screen is proportional to your sleep timeout setting.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
If i set it not to sleep will this stop this ?
Yes, although I haven't tried it, someone posted here that it worked for them.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
stethorn
Connoisseur

That works :-). Just a shame that there is not a work around for the 1% brightness issue. If I shut the cover and wake it at the light at 1% then the light does not come on, according to the software the light is on, in order to bring it back on you need to move the slider.

Quote:
Yes, although I haven't tried it, someone posted here that it worked for them.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Ah, that explains my longer time-out wait then. I usually have my readers set to go to sleep in 60 minutes. There's only battery drain when you change the page, so doesn't matter if it's sitting on a page of text or on the cover page asleep really. And that's more than enough time for my interruptions to get back to reading.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Yes, it is a design feature - it's so if your smart cover opens accidentally, in a bag for example, your battery doesn't run down. Swipe it to let it know you are really there!
Ah, nice idea. And very good to know that. thanks.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #14
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hardly knackered - it should be easy to locate the light button on the top edge by touch, that's what I do, though I do have a Gecko sleep cover and the top cut-out makes locating the buttons a breeze.

BobC
I have this same problem and using the light switch has no effect, you have to go into the brightness control to get it back on again - and that is a pain if you're in the dark!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
stethorn
Connoisseur

I have turned then sleep and backlight timer off, that's dealt with the issue, just got to make sure I don't fall asleeep whilst leaving as the light will remain on till I close the cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
I have this same problem and using the light switch has no effect, you have to go into the brightness control to get it back on again - and that is a pain if you're in the dark!