Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
Cayora
Cayora began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Kindle Paperwhite
Using Sigil to Create Choose Your Own Adventure Book

removing

Last edited by Cayora; 09-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Cayora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is not Sigil, it is due to the format. It is a book and in a book you can turn pages. You are looking for an app.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
Cayora
Cayora began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Kindle Paperwhite
Removing

Last edited by Cayora; 09-12-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Cayora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You could have each "page" as a separate HTML file inside the epub, and mark all of them as linear="no" in the spine. That way, readers that respect the linear attribute will not show these files with normal page turning. Not many readers respect that, though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayora View Post
I thought it might be impossible with this program. I have seen other book-like CYOA things that have accomplished this, however. Apologies for not using your prefered term. At any rate, I can do most of what I want with Sigil, apparently. Just using links.

And yes, I know this is not a traditional book.
Cayora:

Sorry, but Toxaris is correct; you are seeking an app if you are a self-publisher. The type of book you wish to make is not available to self-publishers who will be pushing content through the KDP. It's also not available to content publishers through the NookPress portal. The CYOA books available on these retail platforms cannot be published unless you have a Publisher's Contract with Amazon/Nook (not via NookPress or KDP, but a Publisher's agreement like Random House has). Even most of the "Chooseco" books are actually simply made with links that are at the bottom of each "screen," not apps that prevent turning pages, FWIW.

The "format" you have seen (that actually works as you've described) is not available to self-publishers, just like embedded audio and video are not available to self-publishers on Amazon, or in regular books on Nook. Or animated gifs for NookKids'. It's like the hundreds of apps named "ebooks" on iTunes and Google and Droid, that aren't--they're apps.

There is nothing you can do with a MOBI file to force people to click a link rather than turn a page, although I suppose you could put the pages in, in such random order, that using the links would be the only viable way to navigate the book. That might work.

As Toxaris advised, it's not a limitation of Sigil; it's the format and the platform. In fact, it's all ebook formats--ePUBs are simply zipped XHTML and CSS files, with some fonts and the like thrown in; with one exception, you can't even use javascript for 99% of all ePUB readers, so this wouldn't work in ePUB, either. Given the state of LIT and the rest, I seriously doubt that an ebook "app" such as you describe can be made for any self-publishing platform available at this time. If you make a fixed-format book for Kindle, you could control the page-turning, somewhat, by controlling the RM (Region Magnification), but even then...nah. It still wouldn't do what you want. eBooks aren't really that advanced, to include most scripting languages.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayora View Post
I thought it might be impossible with this program. I have seen other book-like CYOA things that have accomplished this, however. Apologies for not using your prefered term. At any rate, I can do most of what I want with Sigil, apparently. Just using links.

And yes, I know this is not a traditional book.
I would advise for the next time to use a little more caution in the manner you answer. It can be perceived as a little rude, but luckily I am not that easily agitated.
I gave a correct answer to your question and as anybody I expect a certain knowledge level for the one asking questions. I am sorry that I misjudged you, I assumed you knew the difference between apps, ePUB, mobi and alike.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote