Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
It doesn't have a "retina" display.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
It only costs $250.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #18
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It's also suppose to come with ICS (Android 4.0). Now that's a tablet I'm getting. The only thing that will steer me clear of this product if is Asus makes good and delivers a 7" T3 for $250

There's already a review (link)

=X=
Quote:
It has a 1GHz dual-core TI OMAP 4430 processor, 1GB of RAM, the usual slew of WiFi and Bluetooth radios, an IR blaster, and 8GB of internal storage. If that’s just not enough space for you to work with, there’s also a microSD card slot capable of taking up to 32GB of additional storage embedded in the device’s left edge.
A micro SD slot? Is Samsung finally "getting" it?
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Retina displays are overrated. The display on my former Nook Color (1024x600 IPS) was excellent and completely satisfied my needs. As long as a tablet has that for a minimum, I'd never update just to get a better display.

I have both a 4" Galaxy Player 4.0 (800x480) and a 3.5" iPod touch 4 (960x640); and doing a side-by-side with equal brightness settings, has the Galaxy Player trumping Apple's vaunted retina display. For Samsung, this is low end at this resolution. Imagine what a SAMOLED+ display would do?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
A micro SD slot? Is Samsung finally "getting" it?
? Doesn't Samsung puts a micro SD slot in almost all of it's devices? I can only think of the Galaxy Nexus that didn't have one, but that is more a Google design than Samsung
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
? Doesn't Samsung puts a micro SD slot in almost all of it's devices? I can only think of the Galaxy Nexus that didn't have one, but that is more a Google design than Samsung
They removed it from one of their Galaxy Tabs and got a lot of flak for it. Guess they've learned their lesson now.

Really, expandable memory and "openness" are pretty much the only reason people are buying high-end Android tablets right now instead of getting an iPad. With the iPad 2 available for as low as $349 for a good as new model, current pricing for Android tablets make it very hard to compete. Honeycomb and ICS are nice but there's a serious lack of Android apps designed for bigger screens.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #22
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
They removed it from one of their Galaxy Tabs and got a lot of flak for it. Guess they've learned their lesson now.

Really, expandable memory and "openness" are pretty much the only reason people are buying high-end Android tablets right now instead of getting an iPad. With the iPad 2 available for as low as $349 for a good as new model, current pricing for Android tablets make it very hard to compete. Honeycomb and ICS are nice but there's a serious lack of Android apps designed for bigger screens.

Well said. Hopefully more "designed for tablet" (7" and 10" screen) apps will be available down the road.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There are much more reasons than sd cards and openness. There is a better selection of hardware, such as the transformer, the tab, KFire, etc. It's just not a one size fits all in one the android world. I can see folks picking an iPad3 over an Android tablet but an iPad2 I don't think so.

I think your last statement is more perception than fact. There are plenty of tablet optimized apps, though I do agree the more the better. Most of the apps I use daily are tablet optimized, What kind of app are you looking for?

My opinion is that the limitation is more that tablets are not optimized for human interaction. The result is it a difficult to be productive on any tablet.

Some gesture sensors and predictive keyboards closings the gap but they are still far behind the computer.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I think your last statement is more perception than fact. There are plenty of tablet optimized apps, though I do agree the more the better. Most of the apps I use daily are tablet optimized, What kind of app are you looking for?
That's my opinion as well, the apps I use have all been optimised for tablets. And with ICS unifying the phone and tablet OSes, the list is only getting bigger.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That's my opinion as well, the apps I use have all been optimised for tablets. And with ICS unifying the phone and tablet OSes, the list is only getting bigger.
And it can't be too soon for us phablet owners who have consolidated from carrying two devices to only needing one. I remember not too long ago that "convergence" was the byword.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
There are much more reasons than sd cards and openness. There is a better selection of hardware, such as the transformer, the tab, KFire, etc.
I did mention high-end. I reckon people buying $500+ Android tablets instead of Apple's probably want features such as USB host, HDMI output, expansion slot, etc.

Quote:
Perhaps "serious lack" is the wrong term to use. More like a lot of existing apps still aren't tablet-optimized. Dropbox, Facebook, Yelp, Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo Mail all feel like blown-up versions of the smartphone apps.

Do have to say Chrome is probably the best browser I've used on a mobile device and all the Google apps on ICS are beautiful. Far better than their iOS counterparts. Mantano Reader's tablet interface is also very nice.

Quote:
Honeycomb is Android's first decent try at a tablet OS. I'm positive that with ICS, more and more apps will be re-designed to take advantage of bigger screens. It wasn't as if all iOS apps worked well on the iPad overnight. Even more than a year after the original iPad's release, there were plenty of apps that just looked awkward on the iPad's 10" display. It's just a matter of time until Android apps get updated to support bigger displays (although I wish it would come sooner rather than the later).

That said, I do wish the Google Play Store would make looking for tablet apps easier. Tablified Market HD helps but it would be better if Google Play can have that functionality built-in.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #27
VaporPunk
Evangelist

Quote:
There are much more reasons than sd cards and openness. There is a better selection of hardware, such as the transformer, the tab, KFire, etc. It's just not a one size fits all in one the android world. I can see folks picking an iPad3 over an Android tablet but an iPad2 I don't think so.

My opinion is that the limitation is more that tablets are not optimized for human interaction. The result is it a difficult to be productive on any tablet.

Some gesture sensors and predictive keyboards closings the gap but they are still far behind the computer.
I've dled more than 1/2 a dozen apps that looked so poor on my Tran I couldn't use them. Even though the market said it was compatible with it, which we all know (now) is an utterly useless indicator of how it will look on the actual screen + usability.

The PGA tour app is one that I still use that is not optimized for tablets, but good enough for checking out the leader board. The course maps are a pixelated mess, however.

Google Play does need improvements. It shouldn't just list what apps are compatible with your device but also what screen size(s) an app is optimized for. Then again, I rarely check it anymore (99% of what I use the tablet for is already on it) and things can only get better with ICS + JB down the road.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Quote:
I only need two optimized for a 7" screen - Angry Birds and Pulse
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I just picked up one last night.

For the price I'm quite pleased with it.

Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #30
luismonkey
Banned
luismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsluismonkey can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
I just picked up one last night.

For the price I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm thinking about getting one. How is reading?
luismonkey is offline   Reply With Quote