Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast
Chrysanthemum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2,
Odt to ePub chapter link errors

When I convert a book I created in Open Office, the chapter link for chapter one converts incorrectly. While inside Open Office the hyperlink opens the first chapter, but the ePub produced by Calibre opens the title page. All the other chapter hyperlinks appear to convert correctly, and open smoothly.

I've included the ePub version, but the forum attachments says the odt file is an invalid file. I see odt's are not listed as a possible file to upload.

(I started using Open Office instead of Word because Calibre could not open rtf files from Word on my system, but handled odt files beautifully.)

Any help correcting this would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Meaning Of One-Stone and Fire - Sovran.epub (632.7 KB, 233 views)
Chrysanthemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I had a similar problem as well, which is why I stopped bothering with EPUBs. I tested a bunch of BookDesigner created files with an EPUB conversion in Calibre, and every single time the links kept pointing to a chapter previous to the one pointed at. No idea why, couldn't figure out how to fix it.

You could give Sigil a try though, but it takes a bit more work.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast

I'd really rather figure out why this happened, instead of throwing in the towel.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum View Post
I'd really rather figure out why this happened, instead of throwing in the towel.
Well the toc.ncx and the inline TOC both have anchor1 set to:split_000 (the title page)
Code:
 <p class="P-P7"><a class="calibre1" href="../Text/index_split_000.xhtml#anchor001">Chapter 1: Prologue: Tathata</a> &nbsp;</p>
which is weird since chapter one has an anchor027 (higher than the last chapter) and is not in either list at all.

Simply SAVING with Sigil fixes the NCX, the inline TOC is wrong.
There is something weird about the converter or original ODT
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Well the toc.ncx and the inline TOC both have anchor1 set to:split_000 (the title page)
Code:
 <p class="P-P7"><a class="calibre1" href="../Text/index_split_000.xhtml#anchor001">Chapter 1: Prologue: Tathata</a> &nbsp;</p>
which is weird since chapter one has an anchor027 (higher than the last chapter) and is not in either list at all.

Simply SAVING with Sigil fixes the NCX, the inline TOC is wrong.
There is something weird about the converter or original ODT

What does this mean in layman's terms?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What does this mean in layman's terms?
The results you see is the PROPER results for the code which may not be the DESIRED results.
I see nothing in the title page that would call for the label of "Chapter 1" in the TOC
Your creation tools are broken, change your tools to something that works better. or fix the project code with Sigil (a 1 character change)
Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast

Okay, I completely deleted the Table of Contents from the odt file, then went through chapter by chapter, highlighted the chapter titles and reset their formatting to header1. Then using the navigator I dropped and dragged the chapter links from the header file onto the page where the Table of Contents would go. Then I reloaded it into Calibre, re-did the metadata, and converted it to ePub. The finished product seems to work correctly.

But, when I use it on my Nook, while the chapter 1 link correctly moves you to chapter one, the "Go To" function on the Nook touch screen still moves you to the cover page when you select chapter one. But like I said, when you tab down to chapter one on the actual contents page and select it, it takes you to chapter one. SO could you check the code for me to see if there is still something weird? At this point it seems to me that the ePub was made correctly but that the Nook is reading it weird.

BTW, I'm downloading Sigil right now.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Meaning of One_ Stone and Fire - Sovran.epub (635.0 KB, 197 views)
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Okay, I completely deleted the Table of Contents from the odt file, then went through chapter by chapter, highlighted the chapter titles and reset their formatting to header1. Then using the navigator I dropped and dragged the chapter links from the header file onto the page where the Table of Contents would go. Then I reloaded it into Calibre, re-did the metadata, and converted it to ePub. The finished product seems to work correctly.

But, when I use it on my Nook, while the chapter 1 link correctly moves you to chapter one, the "Go To" function on the Nook touch screen still moves you to the cover page when you select chapter one. But like I said, when you tab down to chapter one on the actual contents page and select it, it takes you to chapter one. SO could you check the code for me to see if there is still something weird? At this point it seems to me that the ePub was made correctly but that the Nook is reading it weird.

BTW, I'm downloading Sigil right now.
The NCX order looks correct now, epub reader , Calibre viewer (uses the NCX) navigates to the correct spot.

Using the TOC also navigates to the correct spot in epubreader but is a half page off in Calibre's reader (no clue, sorry)

I don't have a Nook (My Astak PP uses the NCX file to navigate)

I note: your inline TOC has 2 dashes before chapter 1, (cosmetic)

Sigil has a TOC edit function (F7), but it mainly hides (H1,H2H3) entries from the TOC.

To see the (code) contents of the NCX, you have to lift the skirts (un-zip) of the EPUB and peek with a text editor . You should NOT normally have to do this.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The NCX order looks correct now, epub reader , Calibre viewer (uses the NCX) navigates to the correct spot.

Using the TOC also navigates to the correct spot in epubreader but is a half page off in Calibre's reader (no clue, sorry)

I don't have a Nook (My Astak PP uses the NCX file to navigate)

I note: your inline TOC has 2 dashes before chapter 1, (cosmetic)

Sigil has a TOC edit function (F7), but it mainly hides (H1,H2H3) entries from the TOC.

To see the (code) contents of the NCX, you have to lift the skirts (un-zip) of the EPUB and peek with a text editor . You should NOT normally have to do this.
In Calibre it navigates to the correct place for me, as well as inside the Adobe Digital Editions reader, as well as the Barnes & Noble reader. That's all the readers I happen to have installed on my laptop. It works correctly everywhere except that one quirk in the Nook navigation page. I'm thinking it is now a Nook issue, not a Calibre one. Thank you for your help!