Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #61
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Sleep merely brings uncontrolled mind-altering visions of fear, or terror, or exposure, or lust, or administrative frustration, or ineffective violence, or dull irrelevant inconsequential moment, or subtle variations and intrusions of a possible physical, social or emotional reality that merely leads to utter confusion when the real reality breaks in with the sunlight. I'm sorry, but if I want my mind altered, I'd prefer to have control over it, thank you very much.
Oh, but to me that's the best part of sleep (um, I mean back when I indulged in it). I don't consider my sleeping state to be anything like what you describe (and I'm not about to give id the credit either). The dream state has complete power over me which I rarely try or want to escape because it seems so real and compelling and my brain seems to be quite active when I'm in that state. It is scarily addictive. I'm sure all that sounded strange, but I'm a deep, deep sleeper (back when I indulged in it), and it seems like I'm more "aware" of my brain and aware that it is feverishly functioning when I'm asleep than when I'm awake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
and occasionally trying to play a variation of Russian Roulette with a bow-and-arrow (fire the arrow straight up, and try catch it with your forehead).
LOL!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #62
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, thanks to Montsnmag's description of sleep, I'm afraid to sleep again.................
Yeah, that´s exactly what we wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
I'm sure all that sounded strange, but I'm a deep, deep sleeper (back when I indulged in it), and it seems like I'm more "aware" of my brain and aware that it is feverishly functioning when I'm asleep than when I'm awake.
I agree. Sleep´s a real brain releaser, setting free all its hidden powers and the energy of imagination :yawn:
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #63
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Marc, you're bang on with your description of what goes on in my head most nights. (Are you sure you're not that guy next door who keeps peeping in? I didn't think he could see that well anyway.) I'm just hoping I forget it before I head off to bed tonight though that's not likely to happen. I enjoy the rest that sleep brings at the end of a long day and I occasionally like sleeping in. But the in between bit is for The Birds (and I mean Hitchcock stuff - only more bizarre). Right, you said it perfectly: "I'm sorry, but if I want my mind altered, I'd prefer to have control over it, thank you very much." Who left the damn TV up there on a continuous, rapid surf of the Hitchcock channel, the SciFi channel (I'm usually either the victim or the alien that likes to eat or "play with" interesting species), the CSI channel (but I'm always the dead guy who's never quite dead) and then ran off with the remote?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:34 AM   #64
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

EDIT: Smile and move along.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 12-23-2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: I realize last night was a particularly jarring night of "pizza" dreams. No need to bore you with more of this.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #65
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thank you for so accurately defining sleep. Yes, that is indeed a beautiful way to describe sleep.
You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?!?...

I actually gave up sleep decades ago, when I realized all of my dreams were always about driving in an unknown town, having a destination but not knowing if I was making any progress getting there, and having pointless conversations with whoever was in the car, for hours on end.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM   #66
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Oh, but to me that's the best part of sleep (um, I mean back when I indulged in it). I don't consider my sleeping state to be anything like what you describe (and I'm not about to give id the credit either). The dream state has complete power over me which I rarely try or want to escape because it seems so real and compelling and my brain seems to be quite active when I'm in that state. It is scarily addictive. I'm sure all that sounded strange, but I'm a deep, deep sleeper (back when I indulged in it), and it seems like I'm more "aware" of my brain and aware that it is feverishly functioning when I'm asleep than when I'm awake.

LOL!
Well, but when someone tells Marc, "May all your dreams come true!" it is best to dive behind the couch, even if you're next to the one whin front of the point singularity that he uses to make Zany Carters...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #67
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?!?...

I actually gave up sleep decades ago, when I realized all of my dreams were always about driving in an unknown town, having a destination but not knowing if I was making any progress getting there, and having pointless conversations with whoever was in the car, for hours on end.
So, you came to MR, instead?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #68
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
So, you came to MR, instead?
Oh... my... God...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #69
pshrynk

Or maybe we're all just a dream state that you are experiencing after you forgot and nodded off...
Old 12-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #70
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Oh... my... G--

Wait. That would explain a lot.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #71
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You can train yourself to be a lucid dreamer, which means realizing that the dream, either happy or scary, is only a dream. It's all about trying to bring the knowledge that it is only a dream with you. Then you can sit back and enjoy the show.

It's a way to control things. If it gets too scary for me, I go to my grandmother's house and play on the porch with her dog. That was always a safe place when we were kids. Google lucid dreaming for more details.

I take these great trips to the beach, but they are in black and white. Which is weird, because the rest of my dreams are in full vivid color. My Granny's dog, for instance, is a glowing gold like sunlight. And her formica kitchen table from the 50's is the same as in real life, chrome and turquoise, but much shinier and glows, and I'm always drawn to it. But those beach dreams are always wonderful, just lying on a chaise and watching the waves roll in.

I love sleep.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #72
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

[the loud sound of labored breathing]
Luke, my son, it has been a pleasure to have you with me these last few years since you finally learned the power of The Dark Side. You have mastered and weaponized the immensely difficult and disturbing human concepts of emotion, relationship, self-worth, and, above all, dreams. But life need not be filled with the anxieties of such human complexities. Exit through that door and walk under the sun and the rain. Experience the simple pains and pleasures of mere life and death with the rest of existence. Oh, and don't forget to visit The Lounge at MobileRead. You'll love it.
[gasps a final breath and dies]
Old 12-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #73
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whassamatta puppy? You need a hit off the ol' albuterol puffer?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #74
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Whassamatta puppy? You need a hit off the ol' albuterol puffer?
And this from She Who Ate The Lounge a Friday or two ago! Didn't I run into you last night? I think it was sometime between the incident with that final exam in Russian I took after never having shown up for a single lecture and that one picnic where we all ate each other.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #75
DixieGal
Hi There!

Oh yeah, sorry about the berserker thing. I'm sending in occupying forces to rebuild the infrastructures, etc. At taxpayer expense.