Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Noon Touch and Calibre formating?

I'm thinking of getting a Nook Touch. I like the formatting options, but there aren't enough for my tastes.

I was reading the Nook's User Guide, and it says the following:

Quote:
NOTE: Some publishers have defined default settings for the display of NOOK Books. This settings specify a specific type font, font size, line spacing, and margin setting. If these defaults have been defined for the NOOK book you are reading, you will be able to check and uncheck a box labeled
I use calibre now with my 505, and I'm able to get the layout the way I like it using LRF (line spacing, paragraph spacing, sans serif, font size, no margins).

If I use Calibre to produce an Epub to get a layout I like, will the Nook touch honor the layout?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm thinking of getting a Nook Touch. I like the formatting options, but there aren't enough for my tastes.

I was reading the Nook's User Guide, and it says the following:

I use calibre now with my 505, and I'm able to get the layout the way I like it using LRF (line spacing, paragraph spacing, sans serif, font size, no margins).

If I use Calibre to produce an Epub to get a layout I like, will the Nook touch honor the layout?

Thanks.
As you indicate in your post, the nook str has an option to use whatever is defined on the ePub itself, or you can override if you prefer. one thing that i noticed though, if the ePub has embedded fonts and the css specifies those fonts and a size, the nook str will not let you change font type or size. i saw that on one book, so the sample pool is small, others may be able to confirm. but bottom line is, if you format the book yourself, the nook str will honor that formatting.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I had created an epub with embedded fonts. On the old Classic, even with the embedded fonts, it let me change font. But with the same epub on the touch, I was unable to change font. I had to remove the embedded font to get the touch to allow a font change. I actually think the touch works more correctly.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote