Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Now, Kindle Gift Certificates...

I received my "Whats new on Kindle" newsletter this AM, and included was the paragraph below

Plus, by popular demand, you can now purchase Kindle gift certificates. Give them the Kindle books they really want--or millions of other items at Amazon.com.

Happy Reading!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-19-2009 at 10:43 AM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
How is that different from an "Amazon" gift certificate?
Can you gift a specific kindle book?

Guess I should go to Amazon to check it out

for the heads up.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the Link......aparently the only difference is that the card says "Kindle Gift Certificate"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/gc/order-pr...e-08-yellowbow
Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Here is the Link......aparently the only difference is that the card says "Kindle Gift Certificate"

I wonder if you can use them for pbooks...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Fail.

What they need to do is allow someone without a Kindle to buy a Kindle book and send/gift it to another persons Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Fail.

What they need to do is allow someone without a Kindle to buy a Kindle book and send/gift it to another persons Kindle.

BOb
Yep...I think they totally missed the point of what people were requesting.

(Although since getting my Kindle, I've gotten a few Amazon gift cards and they've gone to very good use).
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
twoaces
twoaces began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I've gotten a few Amazon gift cards and they've gone to very good use).
Can you explain to me how you use amazon certs for kindle purchases? If I purchase from device it just goes to my default amazon card. If I purchase online, the only option is one-click purchase, which again goes to default credit card.
twoaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoaces View Post
Can you explain to me how you use amazon certs for kindle purchases? If I purchase from device it just goes to my default amazon card. If I purchase online, the only option is one-click purchase, which again goes to default credit card.
Easy peasy. Go to your account, click on "add GC" and apply it to your account. You'll have to enter the number provided. Any purchases will come off the GC first.

Ask me how I know!!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
What I wish they'd do is allow you to set up a separate account for your Kindle, so that other purchases wouldn't wipe out the amount of the gift certificate. Don't like seeing the multiple small debits on the Credit Card that result if you've used up your gift certificate amount.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
What I wish they'd do is allow you to set up a separate account for your Kindle, so that other purchases wouldn't wipe out the amount of the gift certificate. Don't like seeing the multiple small debits on the Credit Card that result if you've used up your gift certificate amount.

Jim
Are you contradicting yourself here?
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #11
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are you contradicting yourself here?
Probably just expressing myself poorly. If you apply a gift certificate amount to your Amazon account, and then subsequently buy a popcorn popper and it exhausts the amount credited on your account, any subsequent purchases for your kindle, even a 75 cent newpaper purchase, gets charged to your credit card. Would much rather have the Kindle account separate so that your credit card isn't nickle and dimed.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Okay here is the entire paragraph.

""Plus, by popular demand, you can now purchase Kindle gift certificates. Give them the Kindle books they really want--or millions of other items at Amazon.com.

Happy Reading! ""

So, obviously what they've done is simply added the word "Kindle" to their generic GC.

I agree, thats lame.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Probably just expressing myself poorly. If you apply a gift certificate amount to your Amazon account, and then subsequently buy a popcorn popper and it exhausts the amount credited on your account, any subsequent purchases for your kindle, even a 75 cent newpaper purchase, gets charged to your credit card. Would much rather have the Kindle account separate so that your credit card isn't nickle and dimed.

Jim
open a free debit account and use that for your purchases if you want to keep it seperate. I hear alot of good things aboug ING and charles schwab, I use Wamu/Chase
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
Boston
Fanatic

Quote:

Jim
Why can't you open a separate Amazon account under a different email address?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Well that makes birthday presents easy!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote