Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Report: Sprint working with Barnes & Noble on Kindle competitor

Computer World posted the following article: http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&source=NLT_PM

Quote:
According to TheStreet.com, one unnamed wireless industry insider said that Barnes & Noble was working with Sprint after discussions for a similar deal ended with Verizon Wireless. The article also indicates that AT&T could be interested in working with the bookseller. ...

TheStreet.com noted that Barnes & Noble ended a three-year e-book partnership with Microsoft Corp. and Adobe Systems Inc. in 2003 because of disappointing demand for a tablet device they produced.

But the segment seems to have been reinvigorated, several analysts said. Amazon expects to net $63 million in profit from the Kindle, with more than $280 million in sales in 2009, according to Sandeep Aggarwal, an analyst at Collins Stewart.
The Kindle numbers seem interesting even tho it was not the focus of the article.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
This could be interesting. Will definitely watch to see what develops here.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sprint is offering it's services all over the place. I came across this article, also from Computer World a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
According to an unnamed source cited in The Wall Street Journal, Sprint is talking to GPS device maker Garmin Ltd., camera maker Eastman Kodak Co. and storage device maker SanDisk Corp. about providing wireless Internet access to their products. Sprint did not respond to a request to confirm that information.

Its strategy of striking deals with other companies to connect their products via Sprint wireless networks was demonstrated with Amazon's Kindle, where Kindle users can download books wirelessly using Sprint's high-speed data network.

In another example, Sprint said today it is the wireless network provider for Ford vehicles equipped with in-dash PCs.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Oh well. I was really hoping for AT&T or Verizon. Sprint and T-Mobile simply don't offer coverage where I need it and roaming so far into rural areas Idaho, Montana, Washinton and Oregon just does not do the job, which is why I had to switch carriers for my cell phone. If the wireless aspect would actually work in more places I visit, I might be more interested in it for my e-book reader or other electronics toy. Until then it just is something I don't want to pay for or carry around as dead weight.

On a more cheerful note, maybe if Sprint does well enough at this type of sale they might increase the coverage area and that would be a happy thing.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Competition is great... an universal format would be even better
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
In another example, Sprint said today it is the wireless network provider for Ford vehicles equipped with in-dash PCs.
That sounds a little short-sighted. Does Ford imagine that nobody ever drives their car in a country other than the US? What happens if someone goes to Canada, or Mexico? No wireless coverage?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That sounds a little short-sighted. Does Ford imagine that nobody ever drives their car in a country other than the US? What happens if someone goes to Canada, or Mexico? No wireless coverage?
There probably is some of that (mostly those who live close to the borders) and I'm sure the vehicle owners will deal with it. The majority will likely never drive their cars out of the country (I never have with any of my cars).
Old 04-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Daffy,

I think Harry means "Doesn't Ford think that people in countries other than the U.S. by Ford automobiles?" Of course, I may be wrong about that (so what's new?).

As for driving in another country, I have driven my car in Canada but there isn't a prayer of my driving my car in Mexico. OTOH, it doesn't matter to me what Ford does; we stopped buying anything but Subaru automobiles about 15 years ago.

But it does matter to me what B&N does. Why would anyone choose Sprint? It has the worst ratings of any major U.S. cell phone company by far and there has even been some question about whether it will survive.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Daffy,

I think Harry means "Doesn't Ford think that people in countries other than the U.S. by Ford automobiles?" Of course, I may be wrong about that (so what's new?).
After re-reading his post, I see you're right. I would guess Ford would/could use another carrier for vehicles sold in other countries. Unfortunately, some things may not be available in very country (or region).
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I did actually mean "don't Ford think that people who buy cars in the US ever drive them to Canada and Mexico?" . Obviously cars built for overseas markets wouldn't use a US-only provider.

I must confess, though, that I've never heard of an "in-car PC". How does it operate?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
No, I did actually mean "don't Ford think that people who buy cars in the US ever drive them to Canada and Mexico?" . Obviously cars built for overseas markets wouldn't use a US-only provider.

I must confess, though, that I've never heard of an "in-car PC". How does it operate?
I don't believe it's on the market yet. I've not seen any advertising for it.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Most "in the car" PC's are aftermarket or DIY devices. Some people consider the Navigation/Audio system combo as a car computer too. Also, car "computers" can be very simple. We had a 90 something Dodge Caravan which has a "computer" that calculated miles to go on tank of gas, gas milage and other simple basic stuff like that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Most "in the car" PC's are aftermarket or DIY devices. Some people consider the Navigation/Audio system combo as a car computer too. Also, car "computers" can be very simple. We had a 90 something Dodge Caravan which has a "computer" that calculated miles to go on tank of gas, gas milage and other simple basic stuff like that.

BOb
Of sure, most modern cars have an "on-board computer" of that type, but this made it sounds like a standard PC!
Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Harry, they are referring to connecting your PC to the Internet via the car, not the onboard diagnostic computer.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that's what I thought it meant. I've never come across that in the UK - is it common now in the US?