Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
KDP freebie backlist round-up for 2012-02-06

A quick dip into the slushpile shows a light yield, but some nice continuations of series that have been previously offered, if you've been picking them up.

These are just the authors whom I basically recognized right away because they've been here before. I don't have time to check unknowns against the ISFDB right now, or see if "award-winning author" really means "one year I got this local award for Best Business Journalism for my self-help finance articles and I'm going to claim that as transferrable authority towards my un-business-related fiction writing work, unless cop-vs-serial-killer happens to be a business from the viewpoint of anyone besides the publishing industry" (this has actually happened, though maybe he wrote a legal thriller instead).

Not sorted because of time crunch, but it's a short list anyway.

Robert W. Walker offers a tie-in to his Jove/Berkley-paperbacked Jessica Coran Forensic Pathologist series: el Mar Lobo (the Sea Wolf) - When is Death Not With Us? (a short story spinoff from The Instinct Series)

Robert Doherty writing as Bob Mayer offers a 1996-Coronet paperbacked military adventure thriller: Eternity Base (The Green Beret Series)

Mammoth-anthologized Dara England offers one in her series of Victorian romantic suspense novellas: Accomplished In Detection May be a repeat; I can't tell on the new KDP-freebie-only-getting account.

Tyrus-published Seth Harwood offers another in his picked-up-by-small-press-for-republication series: Czechmate (Jack Palms Crime)

St. Martin's-published-IIRC Cheyenne McCray writing under her erotic penname Jaymie Holland offers another erotic romance with BDSM: Taken (The Auction)

Ken McClure now offers the 2nd in his Dr. Steven Dunbar medical thriller series, 2001-printed by Simon & Schuster: Deception

Nebula Award-winner Eric James Stone reoffers his sf short which was printed in Analog and reprinted in Year's Best SF 15: Attitude Adjustment

Minor-ISFDB-credited newbie writer/illustrator Chris Howard offers another in his fantasy series: Winterdim (The Rootworld Cycle)

Marvel/DC comics illustrator Steve Uy offers an issue of his graphic novel series: Feather #3 Comic Book

Poisoned Pen Press-published Mary Anna Evans, whom I've recommended before, offers a mystery/thriller short: Twin Set

Minor-ISFDB-credited newbie writer Annie Bellet offers a classic high fantasy adventure novella: Twice Drowned Dragon (The Gryphonpike Chronicles)

Angry Robot-published Lauren Beukes contributes to this issue of: Something Wicked #08 (November2008) (Something Wicked SF & Horror Magazine)

If you are interested in digital magazines and like poetry in translation, you may want to give a try to: 21st Century Chinese Poetry, No.2

Professor Rick returns with another educational book for the kiddies or you, if you want to try your hand at expanding your experimental knowledge with: Kitchen Science for Kids: Chemistry and More

Donald Gunderson is "Emeritus Professor at the School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, University of Washington, with over forty years of research experience in marine, estuarine, and freshwater ecosystems". This is his somewhat cautionary book on "evolutionary biology, fisheries science, and the history of resource management", if you're interested: The Rockfish's Warning

Christopher Webster has been included for doing Relevant To My Interests amateur Anglo-Saxon poetry analysis and commentary. He offers two historical/fantasy novels based upon said Anglo-Saxon poetry and history if you're interested: Hrothgar (a supporting character in Beowulf) and Rowena (daughter of Hengest)

Enjoy, if there's anything you've been "collecting" and are pleased to add another volume of.

Last edited by ATDrake; 02-06-2012 at 11:07 AM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
phloxy
Always reading
phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phloxy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 7
Thanks, ATDrake! I'm pleased to pick up a couple of these.
phloxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got a few here.

These will be quickly archived. Nothing pressing.

As always - much thanks to you for these lists.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you! I picked up the Kitchen Science for Kids one, as I have the other one also.

I'll let my friend know (about that book for her daughter) and it is something I can try with my nieces, when they are with me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
I think I picked up around 20 books over the past three days. Up to 525+ books. Okay, not even close to Dr. Drib, but hey, I didn't get into this ebook thing until last June.

At least 200 of my ebooks have come via these daily posts. Again, many thanks.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
A couple of others:

Thread of Hope, by Jeff Shelby (penguin author)
Rising Tides, by Maria Rachel Hooley
Rules of Fog - A Dr. Jessica Coran Short Story & The History Lesson, by Robert W. Walker and Jerry Peterson
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
A couple of others:

Thread of Hope, by Jeff Shelby (penguin author)
Rising Tides, by Maria Rachel Hooley
Rules of Fog - A Dr. Jessica Coran Short Story & The History Lesson, by Robert W. Walker and Jerry Peterson

Guess which one I didn't get?

(I'll give you a hint: passion, love, ick-i-ness, bodies. Give up? Sorry, I'm still not telling you!!!!)

Much thanks!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Going to have read a lot of Robert W. Walker by the end of the year, certainly!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
I think I picked up around 20 books over the past three days. Up to 525+ books. Okay, not even close to Dr. Drib, but hey, I didn't get into this ebook thing until last June.

At least 200 of my ebooks have come via these daily posts. Again, many thanks.
Well I have a lot more than that, but by the looks of it I now have 347 from *this year*

getting close to 100 more than all of last year already!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Thanks, I picked up a few of these.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Came across another in my recommendations

The Summoner- Layton Green

"A United States diplomat disappears in front of hundreds of onlookers while attending a religious ceremony in the bushveld of Zimbabwe.

Dominic Grey, Diplomatic Security special agent, product of a violent childhood and a worn passport, is assigned to investigate. Aiding the investigation is Professor Viktor Radek, religious phenomenologist and expert on cults, and Nya Mashumba, the local government liaison.

What Grey uncovers is a terrifying cult older than Western civilization, the harsh underbelly of a country in despair, a priest seemingly able to perform impossibilities, and the identity of the newest target."

Average to have a 4.5 rating average after 90+ reviews and a quick look at the writing indicates appears fine.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Well I have a lot more than that, but by the looks of it I now have 347 from *this year*

getting close to 100 more than all of last year already!
347 so far this year?! Pretty impressive. At that rate, you should have maybe close to 4000+ by year's end of books picked up in 2012. Guess you will never have to be concerned not having anything to read, lol.

I guess I won't either. Having lots of books to read in any format are my "security blanket."

btw, I like your "ologies", etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Indio777
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Came across another in my recommendations

The Summoner- Layton Green
Sounds intriguing. Got it. Thank you.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Yeah, even I can't read 4000 in a year, unless 80% were short stories! And that number is more like 10% at the moment.

If that does happen would mean have found a lot more authors of interest, which would be pretty cool - and is certainly happening. Or lots more put their work into Kindle Select etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Some very minor updates but a few pleasant additions for horror, fantasy, and historical readers. Thanks also to koland for contributing some nice stuff.

Linda McNabb has multiple paperbacks from HarperCollins New Zealand and Scholastic New Zealand to her credit. She offers a kids/YA fantasy tale about a young wizard, originally paperbacked by Flamingo (Amazon doesn't give any other info): The Seventh Son I'll note that the 1-star review dragging her rating down is from a disgruntled price-complainer.

Elisabeth Waters, editor of the long-running Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and Sorceress anthologies, offers a compilation of her own shorts from said anthology series, co-written with Michael Spence: Treasures of Albion II

Kevin G. Summers helpfully informs us outright that his main publication credit is for a couple of named short stories in named Star Trek tie-in anthologies and the ISFDB backs him up. I like this simple upfrontness with no attempted prevarication or inflation, so I hereby link to his short horror take on the Munchkins in The Wizard of Oz: A Heart is Judged

ISFDB-ed award-nominee David Niall Wilson contributes to this horror magazine issue: Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted

Iain Rob Wright (ISFDB entry)has a couple of very recent stories collected by a newbie small horror press. He offers a short collection and a thriller novel to try: Linkage for the two free and the one stubborn Prime "free" item.

Thomas M. Malafarina (ISFDB entry) has contributed a handful of horror stories to themed anthologies and a magazine or two. He offers: 13 Nasty Endings: A Compilation of Short Stories

Derek Gunn (ISFDB entry) has contributed to some anthologies from Permuted Press. He offers an adventure/quest-thriller to stave off the end of the world from demonic artifacts: The Gatekeeper

Ellora's Cave-published V.J. Devereaux offers what looks like a contemporary romantic suspense involving a restaurant and cooking show and a stalker: Cooking Class

Stephen Stark says some of his litfic stuff has appeared in The New Yorker magazine. He offers his men's fiction novel originally published by Henry Holt & Co in 1994, which has been favourably reviewed by Kirkus before they started selling their reviews to all and sundry: The Second Son

Lyons-published Helen Husher offers a slightly revised version of her 1999 small-press-hardcovered travel book: Off the Leash: Subversive Journeys Around Vermont

David Ross Erickson is an award-winning game designer and was an editor of Wargamer Monthly magazine, according to his blurb. He offers an historical military fiction novel set during the Carthage/Rome conflict (one of them, anyway, and not the one with the elephants, from the looks of it): The War God's Men Here is his book reviewed from a military historical perspective by a wargaming article-writing peer: @ The Wargamer (no relation to Monthly)
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote