Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #61
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
I preordered a T1 and then cancelled the order after I read the early reports of problems in the 1st week of October - I do software testing for a living and the types of defects made me uneasy.
After following the continuing problems for the past 6 weeks, I've bought a used PRS-650 (US $100) from the NZ eBay website. I'll look again at the T1 in 6 months time when it's stabilised.
Paul
Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #62
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcnz View Post
I preordered a T1 and then cancelled the order after I read the early reports of problems in the 1st week of October - I do software testing for a living and the types of defects made me uneasy.
After following the continuing problems for the past 6 weeks, I've bought a used PRS-650 (US $100) from the NZ eBay website. I'll look again at the T1 in 6 months time when it's stabilised.
Paul
Paul
I would say it was a wise decision.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #63
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I would say it was a wise decision.
+ 1 I agree
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #64
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
It depends on what you want I suppose. Myself, I've never had an issue with my T1. Maybe I have been lucky. But, I would rather have the T1 and use it (it's a great reader) and use the temporary fixes until a permanent fix is enabled.

As I said, the T1 is a great reader.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #65
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I'm glad to already have my T1.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #66
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Yes, apart from this issue I LOVE it. So, if they can fix it I'll definitely stay with SONY. It's a great reader otherwise.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #67
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I've had occasional issues with my T1, but I'm still glad to have it. If I already had a reader I was happy with, and was just looking for an extra one, then waiting to make sure the teething troubles are all sorted out might have been a better choice.

I haven't seen anything that's made me think I would have been happier with another brand or model.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #68
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
My situation is that I'll likely be going off to the Far East for a 4 to 6 month stint early next year sometime. Intend to buy an ereader before then to save me weighing down my baggage with books.
So, I'm in no particular rush to buy one, just hope that by early 2012 I have the choice, in the Uk, of either a Kindle Touch or a stable Sony. Would be nice to be able to try each one before I decide
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #69
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
+ 1 I agree
I agreed with his deferring the purchase since I have several e-book readers already, and I have concerns that Sony will be able to follow through with a fix. It remains to be seen if this is fixable through a firmware update or if this is a hardware issue. Also, Sony is not exactly known for firmware updates to their readers, although they have done a fairly decent job with the Sony Dash.

I realize some of you are blessed with T1's that function properly, but there is obviously a problem with many of them.

The T1 reader does seem very nice, and I hope Sony is able to fix the problem for those of you who are having issues.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #70
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
The T1 reader does seem very nice, and I hope Sony is able to fix the problem for those of you who are having issues.
I'm seriously doubting it because after all these weeks they are still gathering useless input sending complainers a list of question to which they should have all the answers already. So they are either clueless or just stalling for time while keeping the user busy asking irrelevant questions.

To these questions:

1) What specific book formats/titles are you having the problem?
2) Did you purchase the book from the Reader store or get it somewhere else?
3) Are you using the button, stylus or their finger(s) to flip pages?
4) Is there a specific location on the screen they are using to flip the pages?
5) Are you accidentally zooming (pinch) and flipping?
6) Have you used any non-Sony software to manage the device?

You can reply the following:

@1 ePub and PDF including the Sony manual and sample books shipped with the reader (doesn't matter, happens with any ePub and PDF but this way they cannot blame the book you used, the bug is not related to the book)
@2 All purchased from the Reader store (doesn't matter if you did, just say you did because it is irrelevant and saying otherwise gives them an excuse to blame the store, which is of course nonsense)
@3 single finger to filp, doesn't happen when using buttons (do say one finger because anything else gives them the excuse of accidental activation of the zoom function)
@4 Middle of the screen, can happen when both forward and backwards paging (do not say top or bottom because those area's have some different functions and gives an excuse to blame the user)
@5 No, see youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX60B0bjp90
@6 No (doesn't matter if you did, just say no because it is irrelevant and saying Yes gives an excuse to blame Calibre, which is of course nonsense)

In short: quite useless information. It just happens reading a book and flipping pages every 30 seconds or so. Start with a 200 page book, it most likely will happen before you reach the end. If not, start again from page 1. Do not flip too fast, flip pages at reading speed. That's it. And finally tell them to please go to work, stop asking questions to stall and fix it.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #71
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
As I wrote earlier if my experience of waiting 18 months for Sony to produce a firmware fix for a TV is anything to go by, I wouldn't go holdiong my breath. My guess is that they'll just keep asking these same inane, repetitive questions and then discontinue the reader in favour of a new model. Which is exactly what happened with the TV in question
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 AM   #72
Skip_intro
Culture Eccentric
Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Skip_intro knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insalata View Post
I haven't seen anything that's made me think I would have been happier with another brand or model.
This.
Skip_intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #73
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
So, I've made the decision to part with my T1 I spoke to them today and since they don't have a fix for the bugs and they don't know when they'll be able to sort it out, I asked for a refund.

If they fix it, I will probably re-purchase it because I think it's a great reader and definitely the best one available where I live. By then, maybe it will even have dropped in price

It's sad, though, I'm disappointed
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #74
Dterm
Dterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animalsDterm is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: T1
I purchased my T1 from Best Buy, exchanged it for another and had the same page flipping problem. I also noticed on the 2nd replacement unit that the bottom on/off/sleep switch didn't 'click', it only pressed in with no click which I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't used the first unit for a couple weeks. I find the click sensation tells me it has engaged. Does anyone else's button not 'click'??

At any rate, this freezing-page-flippy issue looks like a quality control problem and a batch problem, because for my third replacement unit I went to a DIFFERENT Best Buy store and exchanged it there instead and have had no page-freeze-flipping since! yay!! (knock on wood)
Dterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #75
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Well its almost been three weeks since this thread started and the problem hasnt been fixed. They are either not going to do it or its going to be a couple more months. Glad I got my prs 350. Its a great little device. So great that I sold my 650. Think I will wait until the next model to upgrade or maybe a different model. I still want a 6" reader.

Last edited by Tony1988; 11-16-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote