Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #27511
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
that is very troubling and borderline criminal IMHO
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #27512
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
that is very troubling and borderline criminal IMHO
Yep. And if my child had been stuck in a school bus on the road in these temperatures for 18 HOURS without better emergency response (I hear the National Guard was getting to them this morning), heads would roll. To be clear, the weather wasn't the primary problem. The problem was traffic gridlock, which froze into place overnight and can't be cleared because of hundreds of semi trucks who drove on through because, presumably, they didn't get warned off. They are now jackknifed all over town, because really. Nobody can drive on ice, I don't care where you are from. Our roads are not treated.

I'll shut up now. I am just livid.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:21 AM   #27513
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
(hugs)

You are right, no one can drive on ice. Which is why cities in the north are able to pretreat roads and treat them during storms so that you can drive on them. You guys don't have the benefit of that equipment. Schools should have been released early.

It sounds like your weather people blew it and did not predict the severity of the storm or the speed that it hit.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #27514
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
well I seem to recall that it was all over the national news yesterday and the day before that the storm was coming and coming hard, so not sure where the disconnect is/was. as it didn't affect me, I was not riveted to it, just made a mental note of it. I was stuck in an unforecasted ice storm in Germany 30 odd years ago and was part of the droves of people that had to walk away (more like slide, stumble and fall) from their cars, so I get the frustration
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #27515
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think that the severity changed as the day went on. I know that it was not predicted to hit Birmingham Alabama and they got slammed. I am not so sure about Atlanta. I also believe that they called for a gradually building storm and it pretty much hit all at once.

Essentially, where the DC area weather predictions have been off predicting larger storms, these folks were off predicting something smaller.

The real problem is people unwilling to look out the wondow and go "This looks worse then I thought" and taking off then. I get wanting to save hours, I do that all the time and bitch when I am forced to take time off when I could have worked. At the same time, I know that I will leave early if things look like they are picking up speed. I know my husband will do the same thing. We both are used to living with snow and ice in the winter and are comfortable driving in it but know when it is best simply to get home.

The problem is the number of people who do not trust their gut and stick it out or rely on the weather people to tell them when to go. That mass release of people at the same time is simply devestating and insures that traffic is going to be FUBARed.

When it come sto weather, people really need to learn to trust their instincts.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #27516
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It was only 3" but like most southern cities Atlanta has minimal snow equipment and only enough brine and sand to treat bridges and overpasses.

Reminds me of Snow Jam '82.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #27517
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Betty - the same type of gridlock occurred in the Raleigh area about 5 years back or so - flurries were forecast, everyone went to work & school, then snow began falling in the morning and all the schools released the kids at the same time - instant parking lots on the highways, kids camping out in school gymnasiums, etc.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #27518
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I feel for the folks in the southern US where they really don't have the infrastructure to handle this kind of thing. That needs to change. Weather patterns are changing and likely to continue to change and all the deniers in the world can't change reality. FWIW, it was warmer yesterday in Nome, Alaska than in parts of Florida.

The gridlock, however, is just PPP. For which governments should be held accountable.

Weather here is back to seasonal normal. Liquid fog, 5C. Can't see town, can't see the harbour, can barely see my neighbour across the street. A perfect day for Murchie's Russian Caravan.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #27519
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdyjrHjn8c )

It exists... trust me.

Good morning, everyone! Happy Thor's Day! No hammer or lightning, just bright sun, and it looks to be a bell-ringer of a day! I have a cup of the local bought English Breakfast tea beside me as I plan out today's chores. It's all play and no work, shopping for some ingredients to cook up a pork loin of Kurobuta pork we were given. Some enterprising couple have started up a commercial pig farm raising these, and gave us a 'sample pack' of about 3 kilo of different cuts to taste and write about, hoping to spread the word through the Japanese expat community of the availability. This meat is VERY popular in Japan, and Chiang Mai has a large Japanese expat group - over 4,000 living here. I think today shall be a herb-crusted roast, with flamed mixed veggies in a balsamic dressing. Something a little different from our usual Thai dinners.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #27520
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm glad your friend got home safely, Betty.

I hope the same can be said of everyone else caught up in that mess and it all gets to the point that it's just a great story to tell the grandkids, years from now.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #27521
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Peet's English Breakfast, though I think it's going to take real coffee before very long. Up and down all night with one of the dogs who was having a bit of upset.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #27522
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
. It's all play and no work, shopping for some ingredients to cook up a pork loin of Kurobuta pork we were given. Some enterprising couple have started up a commercial pig farm raising these, and gave us a 'sample pack' of about 3 kilo of different cuts to taste and write about, hoping to spread the word through the Japanese expat community of the availability.
Stitchawl
Fortunately, we're seeing more and more heritage breeds of pig being brought back into availability. And while the loin is nice for a roast, I'll happily take that shoulder, picnic and belly off your hands. You want a real treat, go for a nice piece of the belly, with the skin still on. Score the skin but not deeply into the fat layer below it, rub all over with kosher salt and fresh thyme, and roast. Start at 230C for 20 minutes or so, then reduce the heat to 150C and continue roasting for a couple of hours more. Serve with freshly made apple sauce and mashed spuds.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #27523
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Yum, that sounds juicy and has made my mouth water for a taste.

Hot, fresh, Sumatra in my cup and a biscotti on my plate.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #27524
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Second tea here in the Shire.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #27525
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Peet's Major Dickason's coffee.

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?