Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #46
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is the support worse than the Sony support?
I don't know - at least it doesn't seem to be better than Sonys. Here is the google translation of a short review of a german user of the new Weltbild-Cybook posted in the german subforum.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #47
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Recent comment from Bookeen .....

" ....Our technical team is still working on fixing some bugs. The release will be done in a few weeks. The next firmware will have new functionalities that have been waiting for a long time from our readers and also lots of new possibilities that will enhance your reading experience.
We are sorry for the delay but please be sure that satisfying your interest is really our main goal.

No mention of what is in it, the situation with the Weltbild issue, nor the lack of use being made with their blogs ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #48
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Recent comment from Bookeen .....

" ....Our technical team is still working on fixing some bugs. The release will be done in a few weeks. The next firmware will have new functionalities that have been waiting for a long time from our readers and also lots of new possibilities that will enhance your reading experience.
We are sorry for the delay but please be sure that satisfying your interest is really our main goal.

No mention of what is in it, the situation with the Weltbild issue, nor the lack of use being made with their blogs ....
Especially annoying since even though some people already asked on their blog what will be in the next firmware they just keep repeating that. I still don't get what's the big secret about the changes, I knew more about the features of Windows 7 (before the first public beta) than I know about the next firmware from Bookeen and Microsoft would have more reason to be secretive...
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #49
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
and also lots of new possibilities that will enhance your reading experience
I'm already waiting for the "shuffle" feature which will scramble the text and create totally new meanings and endings.

"Start reading an eBook and shuffle - you'll never know what's next when turning the page ..."
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #50
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
"Start reading an eBook and shuffle - you'll never know what's next when turning the page ..."
But we already have this...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #51
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I can't wrap my head around bookeen's marketing strategy. Now it seems so complicated that I don't even dare to have a guess at whether it's good or the exact opposite.
I don't understand the concept of two fw versions. For me the natural thing to do would be not to split efforts on two different fw versions but to add features to the firmware they already have and improve it as much as possible. If they really deem the epub support so crucial, they could keep the well established mobi drm and add non-drm epub on top of that and see how users are going to accept it. Then if the reception would be good, they could switch from mobi drm to epub drm.
I just hope they won't throw everything away for epub. I want to keep my dictionaries. I want variety of formats supported, I want new features besides folders.

Last edited by Abelturd; 05-09-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #52
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
In an ideal world , drm would not exist. We would have epub and mobi all right. But as long as the publishers insists on selling only drmed book, we have no choice but to handle drm. Hell, bookeen's not responsible for amazon's or the publisher's stupidity.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #53
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
In an ideal world , drm would not exist. We would have epub and mobi all right. But as long as the publishers insists on selling only drmed book, we have no choice but to handle drm.
Well you can choose as many do not to buy any DRM infested books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 AM   #54
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well you can choose as many do not to buy any DRM infested books.
That's precisely what I do and therefore all this epub drm but not mobi drm mumbo-jumbo seems unneccesary and a complete waste of time to me. IMHO the users couldn't care less for epub drm. But unfortunately bookeen forgot to ask.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #55
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
That's precisely what I do and therefore all this epub drm but not mobi drm mumbo-jumbo seems unneccesary and a complete waste of time to me. IMHO the users couldn't care less for epub drm. But unfortunately bookeen forgot to ask.
in europe, a lot of people are forced to care about epub drm, since most publishers are adopting epub (some exclusively). and many users don't want or know how to remove drm. so if they want to buy books from their local publishers, in their native language, they must be able to read drm epub. until the publishers finally see the light, and get rid of epub altogether... (soon, i hope.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #56
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
in europe, a lot of people are forced to care about epub drm, since most publishers are adopting epub (some exclusively). and many users don't want or know how to remove drm. so if they want to buy books from their local publishers, in their native language, they must be able to read drm epub. until the publishers finally see the light, and get rid of epub altogether... (soon, i hope.)
"To hope is to prepare for disappointment" (who said that? can't remember)... what can we do for them to see the light, do you think?
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #57
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Ok, just for clarification: Bookeen is a european company and at the moment it's clear that europe is a growing market for them. It seems as the european publishers and book retailers decided to prefer DRMed ePubs and a cooperation with Weltbild, one of the biggest book retailers in europe, is maybe the best deal Bookeen ever made. I'm pretty sure Bookeen would like to offer Mobipocket side by side with ePub and both with DRM-support. Unfortunately Mobipocket doesn't allow the usage of their DRM if the device supports another DRM system. What could Bookeen do? Offer ePub without DRM support and die because their customers just can't get a noteworthy amount of DRM-less titles in non-english languages? It wouldn't make sense and hence it seems as Bookeen decided to offer two firmwares: One for europe with support of DRMed ePub and another one for the english-speaking regions with support of DRMed Mobipocket. I can understand such an decision.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #58
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
"To hope is to prepare for disappointment" (who said that? can't remember)... what can we do for them to see the light, do you think?
i think we can write to publishers explaining (politely !) why drm is a bad idea. we can also support all publishers who make their books available without drm, to show there is a market for those books. (oh, and i prefer the expression "l'espoir fait vivre", "hope keeps you alive." )

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Ok, just for clarification: Bookeen is a european company and at the moment it's clear that europe is a growing market for them. It seems as the european publishers and book retailers decided to prefer DRMed ePubs and a cooperation with Weltbild, one of the biggest book retailers in europe, is maybe the best deal Bookeen ever made. I'm pretty sure Bookeen would like to offer Mobipocket side by side with ePub and both with DRM-support. Unfortunately Mobipocket doesn't allow the usage of their DRM if the device supports another DRM system. What could Bookeen do? Offer ePub without DRM support and die because their customers just can't get a noteworthy amount of DRM-less titles in non-english languages? It wouldn't make sense and hence it seems as Bookeen decided to offer two firmwares: One for europe with support of DRMed ePub and another one for the english-speaking regions with support of DRMed Mobipocket. I can understand such an decision.
yes, that's very well explained netseeker. i also can understand such a decision, it seems to be the only logical way for bookeen to proceed in the circumstances.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #59
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Does make sense... and --nevertheless-- "sh*t I'll have to de-DRM & coNvert all the MOBI ebooks I bought..."
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #60
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
Does make sense... and --nevertheless-- "sh*t I'll have to de-DRM & coNvert all the ebooks I bought..."
yes, it's annoying isn't it ? luckily the tools to do that are very simple to use, at least. i always de-drm my books as soon as i buy them, partly because for my eb1150 i am forced to convert the format, also because i am worried about losing access to them. it's not too hard, you'll see. you can even do it by batch, all of them at once.