Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Is there a plan to release Kindle DX with WiFi ?

I think Kindle 3 with WiFi & other edition with WiFi+3G is step forward.
But this feature is only for small Kindle (6" display).
What about Kindle DX ?
Is there a new release with new features in the near future ?
Did any one knows what the plan of Amazon now ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I don't know, but being 3G free, I guess that shouldn't be an issue. I don't believe wifi would be necessarily faster.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Yes, free 3G is a nice feature, but it's not available everywhere, and some places there is only 2G coverage which very slow, thus WiFi here will be better.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
We are talking about downloading ebooks? I don't think 2G vs 3G makes that much of a difference with a file that small unless it's something like the complete Charles Dickens collection.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
meem

I don't care with book downloading I transfer my books by USB cable.
I just need it to buy form Amazon and read online.
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Over,

everything I see a post from you... I try to smack my screen, nice little bug
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I doubt we will see a Wifi DX anytime soon. I have the new KDXG and I can attest that the 3G sucks if you live in a marginal area of coverage, especially if you have AT&T. I cannot download large books (over 10 MB) even with 3 bars. However, using WiFi via my iPod touch I can quickly download even larger books. So i would say that WiFi is definitely faster and more reliable if you are in a marginal coverage area.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
It's not just a firmware issue so I think we have to wait for a hardware upgrade. Probably the next wave of KDX will silently roll out with wifi by Christmas?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
Rolando
Rolando began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
My interest in DX without 3G would be if it would reduce the purchase price. I don't need to purchase books on the fly. Either WiFi, or even USB direct connection would work well enough for me.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I'd be interested in a Wifi DX. For me to buy one comes in approx $300AUS more than the Kindle graphite (larger screen but no wifi). Finding that a little hard to justify atm. I think the $299 price would be great for a DX Wifi-only.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Rolando

I've been reading books on the iPad, and they look great. But I'm finding that the iPad is too heavy for reading books and I'm also finding that my eyes are feeling soar from the back lit screen. I'm hooked on eReaders, so with the Kindle prices dropping, I'm thinking I want to get one.

Is the weight difference significant between the DX, or Graphite, and the Latest Gen version? I'm looking for something light, as well as no back lit screen. I notice that Amazon's photos always show the DX as being held with two hands, verses the Latest Gen, which is held with one hand.

Last edited by Rolando; 08-31-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
REALLY WANT TO KNOW IT ,
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
meem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
I've been reading books on the iPad, and they look great. But I'm finding that the iPad is too heavy for reading books and I'm also finding that my eyes are feeling soar from the back lit screen. I'm hooked on eReaders, so with the Kindle prices dropping, I'm thinking I want to get one.

Is the weight difference significant between the DX, or Graphite, and the Latest Gen version? I'm looking for something light, as well as no back lit screen. I notice that Amazon's photos always show the DX as being held with two hands, verses the Latest Gen, which is held with one hand.
Kindle DX Graphite has more screen slightly whiter, and 50% higher contrast or 10:1 contrast ratio. That means the Kindle DX Graphite has sharper text and images. Overall, it has better readability. But it takes a half hour more for charge time.
Also, text botton for Next and Prev are cconverted to > and < .
I think there no other difference between white and black.

I hope they release a new white edition or gray, for my view they are better than black.

Last edited by meem; 08-12-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #14
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Graphite isn't black. It's a dark grey.
Personally, I would have preferred a true black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
I notice that Amazon's photos always show the DX as being held with two hands, verses the Latest Gen, which is held with one hand.
The Kindle DX weighs 540 grams. The K3, 250 grams.
You can hold the DX with one hand but you may get tired after a while (also my hands become sweaty pretty fast). Of course, it depends on the size of your hands and your strength.

Last edited by Zanshin; 08-12-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Rolando

I haven't bought my Kindle yet, and I'm kind of conflicted about this. I like that the Graphite has a better and larger screen, and also the automatic rotate, but I also really like the lower weight and price of the Kindle 3.

Tags
kindle dx, wifi