Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
CarolB
Connoisseur
CarolB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Any Reason to have an AC charger?

I'm curious as it'd be a $40 payout for me on top of having to order the ereader. I know you CAN charge it with the USB cable, but does it make sense to have the AC too? How long does it take to charge it with the USB?
CarolB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
HeartedHoof
HeartedHoof began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600. Que, when it comes out
Yes..it depends..

Mine just got delivered yesterday and I had also ordered the AC charger. The main reason is that down the track (when the Cue comes out, if not before) I'll give this to my partner, who doesn't use her laptop for long enough at one sitting to justify leaving it on to just to charge up the reader. Besides, she uses her laptop unplugged so using it to charge the reader in the mean time would just kill the computer's batteries.

Having said that, using the USB cable for the charging the reader the first time yesterday (supposedly it is fully charged when the red light turns off) took a little over 3 hours (the getting started guide quoted "4 hours or less".
HeartedHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
Circa 4h ? As stands in the manual.
The Ac charger is a good idea because you can read while you charge your device. When you use USB the device cannot be used = USB connected mode.
I suggest buying a dual cable USB and AC. Sth. like that :
http://photos03.allegroimg.pl/photos...9/73/823597352

+
http://photos03.allegroimg.pl/photos...1/91/802619138

enjoy ;3

Last edited by osowiecki; 11-30-2009 at 06:18 PM.
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
HeartedHoof
HeartedHoof began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-600. Que, when it comes out
re:"The Ac charger is a good idea because you can read while you charge your device. When you use USB the device cannot be used = USB connected mode."

Good point, I hadn't yet gotten used to the fact that the device is not readable when in usb connected mode.
HeartedHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
I'm curious as it'd be a $40 payout for me on top of having to order the ereader. I know you CAN charge it with the USB cable, but does it make sense to have the AC too? How long does it take to charge it with the USB?
You might find that you just need a generic Sony PSP format charger, not a $40 branded one - that's certainly true of the PRS-505.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Or, since it charges via usb, you could grab any old $1.00 usb charger and a $0.50 usb cable.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndx View Post
Or, since it charges via usb, you could grab any old $1.00 usb charger and a $0.50 usb cable.

Don't attempt to combine a USB charger to the mains. This just won't work, and often drains power from Sony Readers.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50169

But a psp charger is fine. I even use a solar charger with a psp tip on rare sunny days.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolB View Post
Carol,

I've already told you that you can use any PSP charger with the Sony. Why are you talking about spending $40? on a charger? PSP charger do NOT cost $40!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
You don't have to get an AC charger so long as you don't mind waiting 3-4 hours for the ereader to charge on the USB as opposed to the 2 hours it takes on AC charger.

I wasn't aware that you could read it while plugged into the AC so that's useful although I'm now used to going away and doing something else while waiting

To be honest I could have managed without the AC plug as I'm only charging it up once every 1-2 weeks.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 AM   #10
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
I find the charger worth having for convenience. I recommend getting a generic PSP charger if you can - it's not worth the £35 it costs over here in the UK.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
I find the charger worth having for convenience. I recommend getting a generic PSP charger if you can - it's not worth the £35 it costs over here in the UK.
Exactly. I bought one for £4.99 at "Game".
Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly. I bought one for £4.99 at "Game".
£4.99? They must have seen you coming
Old 12-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How much did you pay?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Frys.com has a Retractable Sync-n-Charge Wall for Sony PSP for $4.99

And Amazon.com has a MusicPower Duet for $11.99 that plugs into the wall socket and has 2 USB holes so you can charge 2 things at the same tie.

Works for me and packs well taking up very little space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ETPSPCABLE.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	40519   Click image for larger version

Name:	31PKTUekGgL__SS400_.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	40520  
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #15
nick101
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How much did you pay?
Err... nothing (attempts and fails to smother smug look - sorry).

My 600 was the demo model from my local Borders - they gave me money off because it had been used as the demo, and threw in the mains charger they'd been using with it for nowt.

As it happens, it developed a battery problem, so they replaced it with a brand new one. So maybe it's my fault they're in trouble.