Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #16
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Hosting is not a problem. I can host it as well.
I can even change the root password ( which is the only device specific information in the image) to something harmless before uploading.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Solaris81
Solaris81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I don't mind sharing the image. Only have a 1Mb upload speed though so might take a while. Just tell me where to send it.
Solaris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
Gaz81
Gaz81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I've been reading through the info on this thread and the simple debricking guide, I to have a demo black K4. I have the base 4.0 on it but need the newer revision so it can be registered etc.

Have to say, some excellent dedicated folk on here!
Gaz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris81 View Post
I don't mind sharing the image. Only have a 1Mb upload speed though so might take a while. Just tell me where to send it.
PM the URL to geekmaster.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #20
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tend to like http://ge.tt site for sharing large files. Very friendly, no obstacles, feature rich.
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
Solaris81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I tend to like http://ge.tt site for sharing large files. Very friendly, no obstacles, feature rich.
I've PM'd you the link.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #22
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've PM'd you the link.
Please PM the URL to me too. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Solaris81

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Please PM the URL to me too. Thanks.
dsmid said he was going to remove some device information from the image and then host it for everyone.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
geekmaster

Quote:
dsmid said he was going to remove some device information from the image and then host it for everyone.
The only device information is the root password, and perhaps a guid. Removing them would only be for end-users convenience, not security. The identifying information is not stored in the root partition.

I normally replace the root password with the DES mario hash in the shadow file. Optionally, the guid file may be deleted too.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-01-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
Solaris81

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The only device information is the root password, and perhaps a guid. Removing them would only be for end-users convenience, not security. The identifying information is not stored in the root partition.
OK sent.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
dsmid
Linux devotee

Thanks a lot, Solaris. Changing the root password to mario is exactly what I had in mind.
I'm uploading the modified image now.
Do I have your permission to post the URL of that image here ?

For the sake of completeness, could anyone provide Solaris with the dd options for extracting the 4.1 kernel as well ?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
Solaris81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Thanks a lot, Solaris. Changing the root password to mario is exactly what I had in mind.
I'm uploading the modified image now.
Do I have your permission to post the URL of that image here ?

For the sake of completeness, could anyone provide Solaris with the dd options for extracting the 4.1 kernel as well ?
Yes i don't mind you posting the image here. Just out of interest if I wanted to SSH into my black kindle now would the root password not be mario anymore?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Yes i don't mind you posting the image here. Just out of interest if I wanted to SSH into my black kindle now would the root password not be mario anymore?
It is against the MobileRead guidelines to post a link to copy-righted materials.

Instead - PM it to geekmaster - he will update the off-site lists with the new URL.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #29
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Just out of interest if I wanted to SSH into my black kindle now would the root password not be mario anymore?
The root password in both of your Kindles (silver and black) is fionaXXX, where XXX is a number that can be computed from your silver Kindle serial like this:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import hashlib
print("fiona%s"%hashlib.md5("XXXYOURSERIALXXX\n".encode('utf-8')).hexdigest()[7:11])
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #30
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Instead - PM it to geekmaster - he will update the off-site lists with the new URL.
OK, I will.