Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ebooks with soundtracks...you knew it was coming.

I have mixed feelings about this development. I worry that a soundtrack could be emotionally manipulative, telling me how to feel about the scene or plot development.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/bo...tml?_r=2opment.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-p...455841488?mt=8
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
It's an interesting concept. On one hand, I like the possibilities of having a nice little tune that plays, that isn't too intrusive or distracting. On the other hand, I don't want the music to go from somewhat-peaceful to SUPER-INTENSE-PLOT-TWIST-MUSIC mid-page before I get to where the supposed plot twist actually is.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I have mixed feelings about this development. I worry that a soundtrack could be emotionally manipulative, telling me how to feel about the scene or plot development.
I really don't care if audiobooks or soundtrack books try to manipulate the audience. It happens in movies all the time.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
as long as i have the option to turn it off, it's fine with me ;3 unless of course they use this new feature as a reason to hike up ebook prices :x
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One problem with this concept - you need an ereader with an audio player. That means the Nook Touch is a no go. The same with the Kobo Touch and Sony 350.
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
...unless of course they use this new feature as a reason to hike up ebook prices :x
Very real possibility. Just look at the cost of audiobooks.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I have mixed feelings about this development.
I don't. It's a bad idea, just like web pages with sound that plays automatically is a bad idea. I won't be buying any of these, ever, unless there's no way to tell (and if that's the case, I'll stop buying ebooks entirely).
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Aaaaghghh... and they're putting the cost up as well...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
It doesn't seem like a good idea at all for ebooks. People read at different speeds, so how could it tell what particular sentence the reader's eye was at at that moment? What if the reader hears the "patter of footsteps" or the "booming gong" before he reaches that passage in the book?

I don't think I'd like it. However, I LOVE the playlists Moxie Mezcal has online for her (his??) books. Putting the playlist online is a cool little "extra" thing that readers can check out (or not), and it draws people to the website. I wish more authors would do it.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
There used to be a line of children's books with sound effects--as you were reading the book, there'd be an indication to press one of the buttons along the side to get some specific sound, like birds chirping or pigs oinking or whatever. That's what this reminds me of.

I don't see the point of sound with books for adult readers. Can't imagination fill in anything anymore; must everything be spoonfed to us?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
It doesn't seem like a good idea at all for ebooks. People read at different speeds, so how could it tell what particular sentence the reader's eye was at at that moment? What if the reader hears the "patter of footsteps" or the "booming gong" before he reaches that passage in the book?
eye-tracking!!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Personally, when I am reading, I prefer quiet. Music and other things actually distract me and prevent me from being immersed.

Not only that, but people read at different paces, so how would you have it to where the music switches at the appropriate times? Can't really do it by page turn, or risk spoiling what may be at the end of the page.

The New York Times article mentions:
Quote:
In 2010 enhanced e-books with video and audio were all the rage...but sales for many enhanced e-books were dismal, and the books were often expensive to produce.
However, if sales were dismal, how would that really be all the rage?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
We talked about this in the innovative ebooks thread -- I like the idea for, say, integrating Mercedes Lackey filk music into her books.

But in that case, the song would be (a) at the end of the chapter and (b) triggered at the user's whim.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i'm of the mind that if you need music or bells&whistles in a book, then just put it down and go watch a movie or something because thats what you really want.

personally i think its just another sign of our unable to sit still without constant stimulation, a.d.d. ravaged society.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Surely we can allow some room for personal taste and not turn this into ANOTHER flame war thread.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booktrack, ebooks, soundtracks