Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Author appearing first on my Kindle

Hi everyone,
I hope that this is the right forum because I'm using calibre to put books on my Kindle.
I've recently put a bunch of new books on there but for some bizarre reason it's displaying
<Author name> - <Book name>... and then the author name as usual.

I have labeled my books in Calibre according to series. So for example in the metadata for Keith Laumer's Bolo series I have:
Title: BOL1 The Compleat Bolo
Title Sort: BOL1 The Compleat Bolo
Author: Keith Laumer
Author Sort: Laumer, Keith

then

Title: BOL2 Bolos Honor of the Regiment
Title Sort: BOL2 Bolos Honor of the Regiment
Author: Keith Laumer
Author Sort: Laumer, Keith

Some help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Edit: I'm putting this post on the Kindle forum too

Last edited by Katdragon; 05-13-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: More info
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
MildBill
Enthusiast
MildBill doesn't litterMildBill doesn't litter

Device: Probably the Nook
What you don't say is how you want the books to appear on your Kindle.

However, I would rename my books without the series info in the title space, but rather in the series space where it belongs, then go to Preferences>Sending Books to Devices and edit the save template there. This would allow you to adjust the way the file name appears on your device, as well as creating folders, etc.

MildBill
MildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool set a preference

Katdragon....open 'preferences' and under 'import/export' choose 'output options' then choose 'mobi output' and check the box marked 'use author sort for author'. save the preferences and then send the books to the kindle again.
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
This is in the conversion settings, yes? You should go on to mention, then, that this necessitates a reconvert of all books that should be affected by this setting, and that the OP would have to check the books' saved conversion settings- if he did a previous conversion, the old settings will have been saved.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool not true in my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
This is in the conversion settings, yes? You should go on to mention, then, that this necessitates a reconvert of all books that should be affected by this setting, and that the OP would have to check the books' saved conversion settings- if he did a previous conversion, the old settings will have been saved.
that's just not true in my experience. as long as the author fields were originally set the way the op tells us, the new setting in preference will take precedence when re-sending to the device.
--
Alan
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

That shouldn't be the case. The option you've mentioned is in the conversion settings and thus only applies (or should only apply) to conversions. The only way I know of to change metadata when sending to the device is via plugboards.
It may be that you've set it and sent a file to your device with no suitable format for your device, in which case Calibre should start to convert the file, thus applying the setting you've mentioned. That would certainly create the impression that the setting applied to sending books to devices.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool try it

Quote:
That shouldn't be the case. The option you've mentioned is in the conversion settings and thus only applies (or should only apply) to conversions. The only way I know of to change metadata when sending to the device is via plugboards.
It may be that you've set it and sent a file to your device with no suitable format for your device, in which case Calibre should start to convert the file, thus applying the setting you've mentioned. That would certainly create the impression that the setting applied to sending books to devices.
try it, then tell us what happens. nope never used a plugboard.

i copied my library to a new laptop. when i then installed 0.8.1. i specified that library location. i sent the library to a new kindle. the author sorting was fn, ln. i removed the transferred books from the kindle and set the preferences in calibre (just one setting, the one described in this thread).
Quote:
open 'preferences' and under 'import/export' choose 'output options' then choose 'mobi output' and check the box marked 'use author sort for author'. save the preferences and then send the books to the kindle again.
the kindle now displayed ln, fn sorting.
--
Alan

Last edited by alansplace; 05-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

All I can say is that the option is part of conversion output options for the MOBI format and thus should have no effect on books in MOBI format being sent to a device without them being converted first. There are two possibilities: There's something else going on in your setup or that setting is not only used during conversion, but also during sending books.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
All I can say is that the option is part of conversion output options for the MOBI format and thus should have no effect on books in MOBI format being sent to a device without them being converted first. There are two possibilities: There's something else going on in your setup or that setting is not only used during conversion, but also during sending books.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, that option is also used when setting metadata in MOBI files, therefore when sending to device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC, that option is also used when setting metadata in MOBI files, therefore when sending to device.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
What? I was merely voicing my understanding of the topic. That should be possible, yes?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool translation

Quote:
What? I was merely voicing my understanding of the topic. That should be possible, yes?
translation this has become a dead horse (i cannot change what i've experienced).

translation i'm frustrated

translation so i'm quitting this

sorry you didn't understand my attempt to make my message somewhat humorous.

perhaps i should have just said this.

since we disagree i'd advise the op to try my remedy and if it happens like you say it should then to apply your step.

how about that?
--
Alan

Last edited by alansplace; 05-15-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: expanding the content
Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

That's the trouble with too many smileys. I understood your post as "Stop beating the dead horse already, I'm getting a headache."

Oh, and I wasn't trying to get you to change what you saw or said about it, I was trying to understand why you saw what you saw. It didn't make sense to me.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool 'try it'

Quote:
That's the trouble with too many smileys. I understood your post as "Stop beating the dead horse already, I'm getting a headache."

Oh, and I wasn't trying to get you to change what you saw or said about it, I was trying to understand why you saw what you saw. It didn't make sense to me.
it seems that while we were batting things back and forth kovid answered your question

like i said before

'try it'

perhaps the op will report what happens (if he chooses to do any of our recommendations) when he tries it.
--
Alan