Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #46
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Butler View Post
Or you got lucky. It's hard to say what will happen to your remaining issues if FW goes away. It's possible it would convert to a paper subscription.
I do NOT want that! I am an e-only girl. And I still have a year left on my Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #47
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is it possible the publisher pulled them? Maybe they're going to do something on their own.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #48
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is it possible the publisher pulled them? Maybe they're going to do something on their own.
I doubt it. Their web page still points you to Fictionwise and ereader.com as a source of the magazine.

Although I hope so. If I have to buy by the issue it costs more than print -- I won't do that on principle.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #49
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I doubt it.
Yeah, I just noticed Interzone subs are gone too which is a different publisher.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:07 AM   #50
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I have also drastically cut down on my use of Fictionwise after all the hoopla (geographic restrictions etc) - all I use it for now are my Analog & Asimov subscriptions, those are way cheaper via Fictionwise than via Amazon due to the added fees & taxes Amazon puts on the price to Europe.

It's a pity, I used to buy around 100-150 books a year from Fictionwise, now I haven't bought anything since around December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Well in an additional death knell FW just stopped offering magazine subscriptions. You can still buy individual issues - - -
And it seems I won't even be using them for my subscriptions any more I hope the publisher starts selling them directly...

Last edited by June; 06-20-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: fixed bad quote
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
IAnd it seems I won't even be using them for my subscriptions any more I hope the publisher starts selling them directly...
I've submitted questions about the subscriptions to both Fictionwise and Analog. I'll report back when I get replies.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #52
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
I still keep an eye on FW for he Multiformat. I think they should now concentrate on that since most DRMed books are not sold there anymore.

I switched to BoB and am not the worst for it.

Adios Fictionwise.
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #53
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
*sigh* I signed up for a five year membership last year after a couple of individual years of great books. I used to download the mobipocket versions then it appeared there were far fewer mobipocket books and as I had just purchased the cybook opus I switched over to Epub versions.

Over the past few months the Epub versions are fewer and fewer and my wish list which was full of 30 books or so reduced to 5 books overnight because the others had disappeared!

I have over $100 micro pay rebate which I cant use and 4 years of useless membership left. I used to talk fiction wise up wherever i went. No more.

I have sent an email to fictionwise but in all honesty expect to hear exactly nothing from them

Loopy (who is jumping ship to her iPad for books!!!!)
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #54
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
I used to talk fiction wise up wherever i went. No more.

I have sent an email to fictionwise but in all honesty expect to hear exactly nothing from them

Loopy (who is jumping ship to her iPad for books!!!!)
It is a sad decline. I think it's the agency pricing that was the death blow. Fictiowise was a good place to buy books because (with careful shopping) that gave a lot of the 50% margin they had on the books they sold back to the customer.

Now that they have 30% margin and are forbidden to sell at a lower price, their original scheme just doesn't work. Which explains why there are none of the Agency Pricing books at fictionwise.

I too have a very long Bookwise club membership — I think mine runs out in 2017 or so. It's rather annoying that they no longer show club expiry dates on your bookshelf page.

Luckily my micropay account is under $4. It seems unlikely that I'll be buying very much from fictionwise in the future.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #55
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I too have a very long Bookwise club membership — I think mine runs out in 2017 or so. It's rather annoying that they no longer show club expiry dates on your bookshelf page.
It's still there, just commented out in the code.

If you go to your Bookshelf, find the option to view the Source Code in your browser. (In Firefox, it's View > Page Source). That should open a new window showing you the html code for your Bookshelf page.

Search for the word "profile" and it should go to your personal section with the number of books, micropay balance, number of books rated, and buywise club cancellation date.

Mine cancels 9/12/14. Assuming they're still around then.

Sigh.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #56
Coppersdad
See Spot Run/Run Spot Run
Coppersdad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thumbs up Thank you all...

Thanks to all of your for your comments. I thought it was just me. Maybe it was a change in my reading tastes or an increased concern for my expenses during these economic times.
It's not me. It's them.
I joined Fictionwise a long time ago to try a new way of reading on my laptop and Palm pda. Now, I have a dedicated reader and a number of purchase choices.
I can vote with my feet.
I will.
Coppersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
It's still there, just commented out in the code.

If you go to your Bookshelf, find the option to view the Source Code in your browser. (In Firefox, it's View > Page Source). That should open a new window showing you the html code for your Bookshelf page.

Search for the word "profile" and it should go to your personal section with the number of books, micropay balance, number of books rated, and buywise club cancellation date.

Mine cancels 9/12/14. Assuming they're still around then.

Sigh.
Oh yes. Mine's until 2017-10-03. I've been buying from Fictionwise for seven years. I fear they're not going to last another seven.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 AM   #58
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've submitted questions about the subscriptions to both Fictionwise and Analog. I'll report back when I get replies.

I have, too, so it'll be interesting to compare responses (or lack of) ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #59
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My membership is good until 06/25/2019. Glad I purchased it when I received a 100% rebate. I spent down my Micropay with renewing my magazine subscriptions before that option was pulled. Still have around $80 but I'm sure I'll be able to use it up.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #60
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Same here! Blew my last micropay on an issue of Lightspeed magazine and it's lights out, doors shut. Particularly since I found kobobooks.com, which has a far better designed site and much more reasonable cost of books. I liked shopping there so much I wrote them a fan letter. Seriously. No kidding.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote