Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Donations

I think calibre is by far one of the most useful and used programs that I have. I also really appreciate that the program is updated and actively developed so often. As such, I donate yearly. This last year, I realized that there are many more individuals actively involved in the development. Out of curiosity, I was wondering if someone minded telling me how the donations are divided up since I imagine that calibre's development is probably filled with many volunteered hours plus hosting/server/bandwidth/equipment costs.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
At the moment they're not divided up (they aren't large enough). I currently work full time on calibre, which can only continue for as long as I make a reasonable living off calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
thanks for replying Kovid.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I would love to donate but everytime I click on the donate screen that comes up when I click on the heart, I get a screen that says, "fatal error."
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FWIW: I work on this project for fun. Receiving donations would almost certainly complicate things for me (I pay taxes in 3 countries ). Kovid works long hours on this project, and I am very happy for him to live on anything that flows his way.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I would love to donate but everytime I click on the donate screen that comes up when I click on the heart, I get a screen that says, "fatal error."
A donate link is also at the calibre website (big blue button in the top right corner) at http://calibre-ebook.com
Old 06-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You're actually making a living off of calibre? That has restored a bit of my faith in humanity. Well, either in humanity, or in your ability to eat ramen noodles. And so much for the people who think open source is an unsustainable business model.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
FWIW, my contributions, small though they have been, were provided simply because I thought they might help others. I enjoyed writing them and would have written them for my own needs anyway, so why not share? Kovid more than earns whatever donations come in.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Worldwalker, did you mean Ramen Noodles or ketchup sandwiches?

Kovid, I did as you suggested and got the same error.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
<-- is currently eating a bowl of ramen noodles

I just donated from the calibre website (blue button on the home page) with no problems. It took me straight to PayPal.

Hey, if we all pitch in, maybe we could donate enough to buy calibre a capital "C"!

(this isn't in lieu of my promise to buy Kovid dinner, of course; I just hope he doesn't pick one of those places where the food scares me)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Worldwalker, did you mean Ramen Noodles or ketchup sandwiches?

Kovid, I did as you suggested and got the same error.
You can also send in your donation directly via paypal (to kovid at kovidgoyal. net)

Make the above into a real email address of course.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
You're actually making a living off of calibre?
For the moment. Time will tell how sustainable it is
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can also send in your donation directly via paypal (to kovid at kovidgoyal. net)

Make the above into a real email address of course.
No spaces and the funny looking "a", right?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yup .
Old 06-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #15
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

@ Kovid...Got it to work...finally. I had gotten the same misbegotten error message at PayPal when it dawned on me I probably had their cookies blocked. I unblocked them and the problem was solved (mayhap someone should talk to their programmers about detailed error trapping). Hopefully, you will get it.

I didn't donate much, just what the shareware programs I was looking at would have cost me (I won't buy unless I can try). However, if all 300,000 some odd users of calibre did likewise, you could live off the interest the rest of your life (that was a hint, folks!).

Btw, I added a bit so you can afford that upper case "C" for calibre's name.

@Worldwalker...Thanks. You set off a Ramen craving. Fortunately, I was able to find a package in the cupboard.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 06-08-2010 at 04:46 PM.