Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Gadgets Books and Planes = A bad cocktail

News has been a bit slow the last couple of days. So I thought I get some get some good old fashioned reader participation going on. Unless your either been off-world or on a Desert Island since last week, you'll be aware the latest suspected security threat at Heathrow Airport. - Hand luggage had been practically banned, everything must be in the cargo hold. Which if you going on a long flight, means you had better pray the onboard movies are good. So my question to you mobilereaders, is how have you been effected by this?

I was flying back from Seattle to Heathrow the day after all this kicked off. My flight was delayed by 9 hours and the book I bought in the Terminal I had to leave behind. My iLiad was all wrapped up in a large piece of material (or so I thought) when I eventually got to London. My stuff had been searched again before being put on the plane, the iLiad was loose in among the cables from my laptop. Luckily for me it didn't have a scratch on it.

So dear reader, did you leave a copy of Harry Potter behind in some exotic airport? Were you gadgets jiggled around in a way you didn't like? (sounds wrong)

Vent your frustrations here.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

At the time I was thinking maybe the airlines could remove a couple of the toilets, and install a well stocked library of approved books.
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Instead of having people throw their stuff away, they could manage a purser locker to the flight attendant's care and good sense.
Of course paranoļa stiffles reasoning and positive imagination !
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
good sense
I'm pretty sure that's been on the confiscation list since 09/12/01
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
So can passengers check-in their notebooks or gadgets? Assuming they trust them with the cargo folks ...

If not, are travellers in, to or fro US supposed to send their electronic stuffs via UPS before taking a flight?
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

Good idea Snappy, I'd happily do that if I were going to the US. However knowing the UK they would try an charge me import tax on my 2 year old work laptop
Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 AM   #7
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Young
Good idea Snappy, I'd happily do that if I were going to the US. However knowing the UK they would try an charge me import tax on my 2 year old work laptop
Um... You know that you've been able to take electronic items (and others) on the plane since yesterday morning...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Um... You know that you've been able to take electronic items (and others) on the plane since yesterday morning...?
But various countries are now also seriously considering introducing a permanent ban.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote