Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-23-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Tahoma Bold with eReader

I really like the Tahoma font on iSilo, with bold selected. But I can't get that look in eReader Pro. Anyone know how I can do that?

What I tried was to copy my Windows TT font onto my PPC (the fonts directory), but it doesn't show up. Probably because the name is still Tahoma? eReader doesn't seem to have any way to choose bold fonts.

Anyone have any ideas? Tahoma without bold is okay, but I have to kind of strain my eyes a bit to read it and I don't like the weak look.

Thanks.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
That is interesting. I tried it with tahomabd.ttf from my windows/fonts directory; as you said, it doesn't show in eReader Pro. Probably you are right about the font name.

If you use another bold fonttype, can you use it with eReader?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Tahoma Bold Solution for eReader

Well, I gave up on eReader tech support. Probably got lost in the holiday break, so I decided to give the obvious solution a try, and it works great! I really love having this new font choice, and I think others may find this useful also.

The problem was that with True Type fonts there is something called the font family, within which there are various fonts like bold, italic, etc. When you see the drop down list in eReader, it seems to only allow you to choose that font family (or equivalently, just the plain font of that family). You can't pick out the bold and make that the font for the document unless it's the only font installed in that family.

The solution was to rename the font as a new font name in a new font family. You can't change the font properties unless you use a font editor that can edit true type fonts. I found one called Softy at http://users.breathe.com/l-emmett/ which is shareware. If you have just one font to change, I don't think the author would mind too much if you make use of the trial version, which is what I did. But for ongoing use past the 30day trial, you'll need to register for $25. I only used it for changing the properties (names), but it looks like it can do much more.

After unzipping the download of Softy, you run the .exe file and then pick "True Type" fonts as the font type. Then open A COPY OF the font you want to have as an eReader choice. In my case, I wanted to see Tahoma Bold, so I took that font file (from the windows fonts directory) and copied it to another location for editing, and to be later moved to my PPC.

Open that file with Softy, and do some renaming along the following lines...
Family = MyTahoma
Subfamily = Boldn (actually I think I used "Bold", but somehow it ended up like this.)
Identifier = My Tahoma Bold
Full Name = My Microsoft My Tahoma B (truncated but seems to be okay)
Postscript Name = MyTahoma-Bold

I doubt that all of those are necessary, but probably Family is most important to make it another font family. Identifiers might need to be unique also, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I then saved the changes, and changed the filename to mytahomabd.ttf, and then moved it to the Windows\font\ directory on my PPC using activesync. Voila! It works great!!!!

A couple of notes based on observations and info from Alexander in another thread...
1) If you add fonts, check them out right away in eReader, because after a soft reset you can only delete the font by renaming the extension, reseting again, and then deleting the font file. This is due to the file being locked, maybe to protect the files from accidental deletion?
2) As noted before, if bold and regular fonts are both installed from the same font family, you will only see regular in font list for ereader.

Disclaimer: I really don't know what I am doing, and just "followed my nose", so I make no guarantees this will work for you. You really should do a backup before messing with any "system" files.

If anyone tries this, let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote