Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Kindle Touch Jailbreak Questions

Hi.

i am attempting to install the collections manager on my kindle touch firmware 5.1.2 using these two guides.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23#post2165923

and

the universal jailbreak from https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak

i have gone through the jailbreak and where it says You can safely delete the diagnostic_logs folder on the Kindle USB drive. is that the only file i delete?

Do i leave data.tar.gz, and ENABLE_DIAGS in the root of my kindle.

also i have downloaded the kindlet jailbreak, what do i do with it, im a total noob to jailbreaking.

Last edited by alanHd; 01-02-2013 at 04:36 PM.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Hi.

i am attempting to install the collections manager on my kindle touch firmware 5.1.2 using these two guides.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23#post2165923

and

the universal jailbreak from https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak

i have gone through the jailbreak and where it says You can safely delete the diagnostic_logs folder on the Kindle USB drive. is that the only file i delete?

Do i leave data.tar.gz, and ENABLE_DIAGS in the root of my kindle.

also i have downloaded the kindlet jailbreak, what do i do with it, im a total noob to jailbreaking.
If you successfully installed the Kindle Touch jailbreak, you should not have any leftovers. If you do, delete them. (For instance, you should never have required the ENABLE_DIAGS file in the first place. None of the installation instructions told you to do anything with that file.)

Install the additional requirements (like the Kindlet jailbreak) by copying the contained *_install.bin file to your device, then restart it using the "Update Kindle" setting from the menu. Simply follow the instructions in the README files - that's what they're there for.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks,

i have succesfully jailbroken my kindle and installed the kindlet jailbreak and jbpatch. I didnt realise the read me files were inside the zip file. i was searching the threads. my bad.

As to doing nothing with the ENABLE_DIAGS file, the universal guide i was following said to copy all the files to my kindle including that one.
2.Plug in the Kindle and copy all the files and directories contained in the downloaded zip file (data.tar.gz, ENABLE_DIAGS, diagnostic_logs) directly to the Kindle’s USB drive’s root
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks,

i have succesfully jailbroken my kindle and installed the kindlet jailbreak and jbpatch. I didnt realise the read me files were inside the zip file. i was searching the threads. my bad.

As to doing nothing with the ENABLE_DIAGS file, the universal guide i was following said to copy all the files to my kindle including that one.
2.Plug in the Kindle and copy all the files and directories contained in the downloaded zip file (data.tar.gz, ENABLE_DIAGS, diagnostic_logs) directly to the Kindle’s USB drive’s root
Ah, yeah, my bad, sorry

Just ignore (or even better, delete) those files.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
alanHd
Addict

If i had known it was that easy i would have done it ages ago. was always a bit scared of bricking my kindle.

I'm so glad i have the progress bar back on the bottom when reading, i missed that so much.

KUDOS to the developers
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
If i had known it was that easy i would have done it ages ago. was always a bit scared of bricking my kindle.

I'm so glad i have the progress bar back on the bottom when reading, i missed that so much.

KUDOS to the developers
Hehe... you're welcome

PS: Jailbreaking as such is nothing to be afraid of. It only installs a few files on your device. The only thing that might be scary about it is that is *allows* you to shoot yourself in the foot, but as long as you don't actively try to do that, there is nothing to worry about
Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
alanHd
Addict

Note to self put the safety on the gun.

Have you any recomendations for handling pdfs now its jailbroken.