Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hurricane Sandy and Kindle PW :)

Here's an amusing article in the New York Times pointing out why the Kindle PW can be a relief in times of power outages and blackouts. Quote:

Quote:
We lighted candles, my friend played games on his cellphone, and I tried and failed to read by candlelight on my old Kindle, which inspired me to make my first entry on my Revised Hurricane Preparedness List: When the stores reopen, get the new backlit Kindle. Hurricane Sandy, we agreed, had been overhyped.
and

Quote:
As the evening wore on, I also started to feel vulnerable. And lonely. And bored. I had read everything on my Kindle, and without Wi-Fi I couldn’t download anything else or go online. Candle power — even with eight lighted candles — was insufficient to read actual books without going blind.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
That's why I'm glad to have had a 3G KPW - I didn't need it (my area of Brooklyn was largely spared) but it was good to know I had it through the storm. I will however be getting a solar charger for both my phone and Kindle to make sure I'm never without access to news and books during a blackout.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
That's why I'm glad to have had a 3G KPW - I didn't need it (my area of Brooklyn was largely spared) but it was good to know I had it through the storm. I will however be getting a solar charger for both my phone and Kindle to make sure I'm never without access to news and books during a blackout.
I have several small solar chargers at the ready for Sandy. Fortunately I did not need them. I'd still like to find something to charge my gadgets using my hands but have yet to find anything satisfactory. The K-tor pocket socket looks like the closest thing, yet looks like it's too much work.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
From what I've read, all those crank chargers are a lot of work. Maybe it doesn't take long to charge a kindle, but charging a phone is supposed to be a real pain. I'm sticking with solar I think, possibly with a backup battery so I don't have to tether the devices to the panel all the time.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Here's one that can be hand cranked or hooked up to a bicycle.

http://www.handcrankedgenerator.com/index.html
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
Here's one that can be hand cranked or hooked up to a bicycle.

http://www.handcrankedgenerator.com/index.html
Do you know how much it costs?

For disaster preparedness, I can totally recommend the d.light solar lantern as well. It charges even in dim light and lasts a long time, plus it's pretty bright for a solar light, and costs only $16.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Do you know how much it costs?

For disaster preparedness, I can totally recommend the d.light solar lantern as well. It charges even in dim light and lasts a long time, plus it's pretty bright for a solar light, and costs only $16.
It lists at $429.00 down from $499.00
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote