Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Unshelved Books

I use Calibre to grab news feeds and put them on my Nook. Calibre cannot place these books in shelves, so they are classified as unshelved, and end up all the way at the end of the last page of "My Documents".

Now, it seems very strange that the Nook would do that--after all, books you just added are most likely the ones you want to look at right away, so it seems to me that unshelved books should be placed first, not last.

And that leads to my question: is there any way to get the Nook to put the unshelved books ahead of the shelves?
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I don't know but if you do find out please tell me.

There is a sort-of workaround to get to them quickly, though, which I use.

Create a shelf and give it a name ("placeholder" or "paranormal romance" or something) and have it sort at the end. Then when you go to shelf, you go to "placeholder", it's empty, and the unshelved shelf is right there on the same page.

Another sort of workaround is to Change View to Hide Shelves, and sort by most recent. The most recently added stuff will show up at the top and you can shelve them then. If they're usually the most recent, this is the best one to use if you're going to shelve them because the placeholder workaround won't leave you in the unshelved area once you shelve them (if that makes sense--I mean, once you assign "newsarticles" to the first one, it takes you to the newsarticle shelf and you have to manually go back for the rest which is tedious and a half).
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I came up with a different workaround.

I had tried one of your suggestions, but it didn't work. When I sort by "most recent" with shelves hidden, it puts the most recently read at the top, not the most recently added. And since the newly-added ones have never been read, they're well down the list.

What worked for me is this: I normally have shelves shown, and sort alphabetically by title. Thus, the first-level sort is by shelf, and then the books are sorted by title within the shelves. I modified the Calibre news feeds to put an underscore before the title, making it _Detroit News, for example. Now all I have to do is hide the shelves and it then sorts strictly by title. Symbols are considered to come before letters, so the _xxxxx items go right to the top.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Can you point the library to go to the "unshelved books"?

I use a rooted library, but I might be going to the shelving route soon as my library grows.

I should probably start shelving before it gets too big LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Can you point the library to go to the "unshelved books"?
I'm not sure I understand the question. The menu lets you navigate to a specific shelf, but "Unshelved" is not on the list. Is that what you meant?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Joykins
Wizard

Unshelved books are grouped after the last shelf when you use the B&N software. You can't use the shelf feature to navigate to "unshelved", unfortunately, because that would MAKE THINGS SO MUCH EASIER.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Unshelved books are grouped after the last shelf when you use the B&N software. You can't use the shelf feature to navigate to "unshelved", unfortunately, because that would MAKE THINGS SO MUCH EASIER.
LOL, maybe next update!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #9
ClairePMR
Groupie
ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ClairePMR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Color, Kindle, EB1150, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Surface Pro 2017
The simple workaround that I made for this is to create my own shelf with the title "unshelved" and place one book on it. It doesn't replace the BN "unshelved" function but allows you to quickly navigate to the BN version by placing your own "unshelved" shelf at the end of your shelf list. The BN version is then the next item on the shelf list. Not perfect, but better than clicking through 30+ pages...
ClairePMR is offline   Reply With Quote