Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
rozen
rozen began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Problem with creating the development environment

Hi,

I am very new to Calibre having just acquired a nook. But I would like to play around with some of the code so I tried to a development install. Here were my steps:

1. I untared the file calibre-0.7.33.tar.gz in my home directory.

2. Changed directory to ~/calibre and read INSTALL.

3. Successfully executed
sudo python setup.py develop

4. Set the environmental variables

PWD=/home/rozen/calibre
CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/rozen/calibre/src

5. Put a print statement in src/calibre/__init__.py and in /src/calibre/main.py

6. Executed calibre-debug -g

7. Got the following output

rozen@atlas: ~/calibre > calibre-debug -g

Hello from ~/calibre/__init.py__.
main: args = ['calibre']
Starting up...
Failed to load high performance sqlite C extension
'Connection' object has no attribute 'enable_load_extension'
Started up in 0.774530887604

This was fine because I was hoping for that output of the two print statements as above.

Unfortunately, the GUI appeared but the window was black. If I i clicked about in the middle of the black window I got dialog windows that looked right for various functions in the window. For instance I clicked in the library part of the window and was able to open the viewer for one of my converted news feeds.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and Python 2.6.6. I have successfully done and used a straight install from source. I worry that my sequence above is erroneous or that I may have something left over from my prior installation. I don't see my error.

I would certainly appreciate any suggestions for increasing the visibility of the GUI.

Thanks in Advance,
Don
rozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I would advise against developing directly from source. While it is possible you will need to have every dependency (there are a lot) installed.

My recommendation is to install calibre using the binary installer. Then use the CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM variable to point to a local copy of the calibre source tree.

The basic steps would be:

1) Install binary (the one from calibre-ebook.com not the one in Ubuntu's repository).
2) Check out the source. Put it some place like ~/code/calibre. You would use bzr branch lp:calibre
3) Set your environment variable. It's a good idea to put it in your .bashrc or .bash_profile file so it is set every time you open a terminal. export CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/you/code/calibre
4) run calibre.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As user_none said, detailed instructions are here:

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/develop.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
rozen

I really feel that I am overlooking something that should be obvious but I don't see the output from any print statements.

I downloaded the source into /home/rozen/cal/calibre.

The environmental variable is set:
CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/rozen/cal/calibre

I added

print "Hello, Don" to

/home/rozen/cal/calibre/src/calibre/__init__.py

When I run "calibredb" or "calibre-debug -g", I do not see the print output.

I also added the statement to __init__.py

x = 1 / 0

and when I run calibre-debug -g I do not get an error message.

I am sorry to bring up the same question a second time but I am flummoxed and need help with something that I should be seeing for myself.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and calibre 0.8.2, my device is a nook.

I am interested in writing a simple plugin as an introductory exercise and want to see some exploratory output from calibre itself. I am able to get print output from my plugin code.

Thanks in Advance,
Old 05-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/rozen/cal/calibre/src
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozen View Post
The environmental variable is set:
CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/rozen/cal/calibre
It needs to point to the src dir.

Code:
$ export CALIBRE_DEVELOP_FROM=/home/rozen/cal/calibre/src
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
rozen

I really apologize for taking up your time on a Sunday of a Holiday weekend as a result of my inability to read carefully.

I am now up and going.

Thank You So Much,
Don