Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #211
mpetersen3
Enthusiast
mpetersen3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@mpetersen3: I can't find a trace of *any* jailbreak installed in your logs o_O.
When you say a trace... do you mean the attempts also? When I grep k3g I get a lot. Maybe you mean that my logs show that no jailbreak was ever installed?
mpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #212
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

If that is the case it is strange that I have ssh and scp access now after adding these files, but at the least is it possible for me to just scp the install scripts to my /mnt/us and the install files and then run them using ssh to properly apply the jailbreak, for that matter couldn't I do this for any installer, including launchpad?

Since I don't want to brick my kindle accidentally I will wait for your reply before attempting this

Last edited by mpetersen3; 11-22-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #213
mpetersen3
Enthusiast

After reading the scripts thoroughly I decided to just go ahead and do the install via the unpacked files and ssh/scp which worked like a charm. Thanks for the help from NiLuje and H1uke in overcoming this problem.

Last edited by mpetersen3; 11-22-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #214
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG
Good morning. Noob speaking...
I've a Kindle DX (6 days ago) on firmware 2.5.8 and I'm unable to use the search bar as a command line (;debufOn/Off does't seem to do anything, but ~help just looks for "help") Of course launchpad to the rescue but is it me or with firmware 2.5.8 it doesn't work?
Thank you
anonimo200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #215
Brian Lally
Brian Lally began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle 3.1 Wireless
Launchpad runs (^^[] = sucess) (^^^ = screenshot) etc , but no other commands are echoed successfully - not Mplayer, not Kchess. Occasionally characters appear in search box. (usually last one I typed).
Any hope for this?
Brian Lally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #216
Brian Lally
Brian Lally began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok - seem to need other init scripts installed INSIDE launchpad folder - Mplayer now running - sweet.
Brian Lally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #217
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimo200 View Post
I'm unable to use the search bar as a command line (;debufOn/Off does't seem to do anything, but ~help just looks for "help")
;debufOn should be ;debugOn (change the 'f' to a 'g').
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #218
anonimo200
Enthusiast
anonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it isanonimo200 knows what time it is

Errr, my fault (quick typing, in English, not re-reading before posting...) but I do it right in my Kindle and it doesn't work. Any idea? Nobody?

Last edited by anonimo200; 12-14-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #219
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@anonimo200: On the 2.5.8 firmware, you need to use a backtick (`) instead of a tilde (~). Your ~help command should be a `help command.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #220
anonimo200
Enthusiast

Thank you for your help but it doesn't work either.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #221
geekmaster

You need to be at the Home page. Press Home, then press Del (to get a search box), then enter the commands into the search box.

I just tested my own instructions above on my 2.5.8 DX, and they worked for me.

If you are doing these things in this order and it is still not working, please provide more details so we may be of more assistance to you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-14-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #222
anonimo200
Enthusiast

Hello again. I try ;debugOn and nothing happens (the screen refreshes but that's all) Then 'help and the Kindle looks for "help" in my books (at least I've found a problem indexing a book...) Then I type ;debugOff just in case the On option worked.
I have done it in the command line too (in the terminal emulator and over ssh) with no luck.
I thought it was firmware 2.5.8 but I've read a post by someone in 2.5.7 with the same problem.
Once again, thank you for your help :-)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #223
geekmaster

Those commands do not work at linux command lines. They are for the search box only. You need the backtick (`). Be sure to NOT use a single quote (') like you showed above.

On the DX and DXG, the backtick (`) is on the far right of the second SYM row, immediately left of the tilde (~). The single quote (') is the 2nd char on the top row -- do NOT use it.

Version 3 kindles (e.g. kindle keyboard) use a tilde (~) instead of a backtick (`).

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-14-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #224
anonimo200
Enthusiast

BINGO. That was it, I was trying ' instead of `. I really appreciate your help.
You insist on not using ', is it dangerous in any sense? I've tried 'help at the command line and appears the simbol > and I can't do anything. I've even tried in Ubuntu and it's the same, but in Ubuntu I can CTRL+C, in the Kindle I can't (I closed the ssh session directly...) What does ' + command do in linux?
Thanks again for your help and patience, I sure I'd have been unable to do it in my life.

Last edited by anonimo200; 12-15-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #225
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
That search box really has nothing to do at all with "the command line", i.e. a shell prompt. The single quote (') isn't dangerous at all. In the search box it just has no meaning that would have helped with your problem. On a typical shell command line, it would introduce a string. The ">" that the shell displayed is a continuation marker, telling you that you're still in the course of entering a string. You mark the end of such a string with another single quote ('). This is all horribly Off-Topic in this particular thread, so I stop here.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote