Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
Question on Kindle Freebies

My understanding is that as a self-published writer you can't put something on the Kindle store for free, but if it's free elsewhere, (Smashwords) and Amazon finds out, they may make it free. I know they used to pay you the royalty when they did that, but then they amended the contract to say they won't any longer.

I would actually love for them to make my novella, The Death Trip, free on Kindle. I just made it free on Smashwords, but the Kindle store hasn't done the same yet. My thinking is that when it was free on Kindle for a brief time last fall, it got a lot of downloads. If it happened again, I think maybe some of that might spill over into sales for my other book and help attract readers. Is there anything I can do besides wait around for Amazon to realize it's free elsewhere?

Thoughts?
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
Is there anything I can do besides wait around for Amazon to realize it's free elsewhere?

Thoughts?
There is a link on the books page to report it being found at a lower price elsewhere that reads; Would you like to give feedback on images or tell us about a lower price?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Marioninyc
Marion
Marioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel isMarioninyc really knows where his or her towel is

Device: KindleDX
Thanks!

D'oh! I knew there was something like that, but I looked and didn't see it. After your reply, I looked again. Thanks. Now I must get my minions to report my infraction as well, so Amazon will lower the price.
Marioninyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think it helps if you can get many poeple to click that for you also.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Can you let us know how you get on? I wouldn't mind getting some free stuff on Amazon.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #6
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
My understanding is that as a self-published writer you can't put something on the Kindle store for free, but if it's free elsewhere, (Smashwords) and Amazon finds out, they may make it free. I know they used to pay you the royalty when they did that, but then they amended the contract to say they won't any longer.
I'm dumb. I just asked this same question a little while ago

Do you get in trouble when they find out you're giving it away for free somewhere else? I really hate being yelled at, especially by the Man.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper Kingsley View Post
I'm dumb. I just asked this same question a little while ago

Do you get in trouble when they find out you're giving it away for free somewhere else? I really hate being yelled at, especially by the Man.

I did not. They just sent me an email that said they were "matching another merchant's promotion."
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote