Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #16
KilgoreTraut
KilgoreTraut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood is sublime; Year of the Flood is a respectable follow up.
The Road is also highly recommended.
KilgoreTraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
lucifer's hammer
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #18
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by straygator View Post
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. Not sure if it's available in e-formats yet, though.
This is one of the few books I had to read for school that I actually liked a lot. Good book.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #19
DeepB
DeepB began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
lucifer's hammer
did you actually read the original post?

regards
Daniel
DeepB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #20
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I remember this one as being pretty good. Has been a long time though:

Paul Auster - In the Country of Last Things

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Last-T...6498289&sr=8-1
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #21
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
_Ariel_ is an amazing book which transcends age.

_Systemic Shock_ is the first book in a trilogy --- the remaining 2/3rds of the story happens after things have fallen apart.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #22
DeepB

I finnished Systemic Shock, and if anybody is interested, or for future reference if someone searches for this title:
I liked the book, although it is up to and including the end not in a post-apocalyptic, in my opinion not even an apocalyptic setting. Yes in the beginning it looks like an apocalypse, and yes, many people die, but the central government remains, and many countries remain more or less the same.
The second half of the book is nothing else than a "normal" war/agent story, with some mentioning of the big war. Furthermore the author continuously switches from "The US" to first person plural, sometimes even in mid-sentence, or even twice in a sentence.

nevertheless i liked the book enough to read the second one.

regards
Daniel
Old 05-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #23
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
Quote:
lucifer's hammer
did you actually read the original post?

regards
Daniel
Yup, the whole post was going to be "Lucifer's Hammer is slow to start but gets rolling in the second half, you should give it and chance and finish it".

However, my wife took a bad fall and I had to rush her to the emergency room so I basically shut everything I was doing down in a semi-panic and left to take care of business. Didn't even realize I'd posted until today, I thought I had canceled out.

Regardless, a "different" kind of apocalypse story is "Magic Time" by Marc Zicree, or perhaps Ariel: A Book of the Change by Steven R. Boyett

Last edited by zespectre; 05-27-2011 at 12:39 PM.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #24
DeepB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zespectre View Post
Yup, the whole post was going to be "Lucifer's Hammer is slow to start but gets rolling in the second half, you should give it and chance and finish it".

However, my wife took a bad fall and I had to rush her to the emergency room so I basically shut everything I was doing down in a semi-panic and left to take care of business. Didn't even realize I'd posted until today, I thought I had canceled out.

Regardless, a "different" kind of apocalypse story is "Magic Time" by Marc Zicree, or perhaps Ariel: A Book of the Change by Steven R. Boyett
Oh, in this case i am really sorry, I hope she's okay?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow24 View Post
If you want to go the Zombie Apocalypse angle, I have a ton of good suggestions for you. However, that didn't seem like the type of thing you are looking for.
Ooohhh yes please! I do!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #26
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy

Ooooh no, I don't !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #27
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh go on. You know you want to
Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #28
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apocalyptic fiction is probably my favorite genre - I really enjoyed Philip K. Dicks's "Dr. Bloodmoney". Enjoyable cold-war scare era apocalyptica.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #29
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Ooohhh yes please! I do!
No problem:

Twilight of the Dead by Travis Atkins
After Twilight: Walking with the Dead by Travis Atkins
Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne
Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile by J.L. Bourne
Dead City by Joe McKinney
Down the Road by Bowie Ibarra
Down the Road: On the Last Day by Bowie Ibarra
Down the Road: Fall of Austin by Bowie Ibarra
Plague of the Dead by Z.A. Recht
Dying to Live by Kim PaffenrothThunder and Ashes by Z.A. Recht
Dying to Live: Life Sentence by Kim Paffenroth
Dying to Live: Last Rites by Kim Paffenroth
Dead Earth by Mark Justice
Dead Earth: The Green Dawn by Mark Justice
Eden by Tony Monchinski
World War Z by Max Brooks
Monster Island by David Wellington
Monster Nation by David Wellington
Monster Planet by David Wellington
Feed By Mira Grant

All but the first two should be on Amazon or B&N, not sure if Kobo or Sony has them.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #30
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow24 View Post
No problem:

Twilight of the Dead by Travis Atkins
After Twilight: Walking with the Dead by Travis Atkins
Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne
Day by Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile by J.L. Bourne
Dead City by Joe McKinney
Down the Road by Bowie Ibarra
Down the Road: On the Last Day by Bowie Ibarra
Down the Road: Fall of Austin by Bowie Ibarra
Plague of the Dead by Z.A. Recht
Dying to Live by Kim PaffenrothThunder and Ashes by Z.A. Recht
Dying to Live: Life Sentence by Kim Paffenroth
Dying to Live: Last Rites by Kim Paffenroth
Dead Earth by Mark Justice
Dead Earth: The Green Dawn by Mark Justice
Eden by Tony Monchinski
World War Z by Max Brooks
Monster Island by David Wellington
Monster Nation by David Wellington
Monster Planet by David Wellington
Feed By Mira Grant

All but the first two should be on Amazon or B&N, not sure if Kobo or Sony has them.

Which one would you recommend someone (me) should start with?