Old 01-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #1
Mr_B
Mr_B began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question Home - all books "Downloading"

Model : KOBO GLO
Software Version : 3.1.1
WiFi : Disabled

I purchased a Kobo Glo here in Australia just before Xmas. I have an issue I hope that someone can help me with.

On the "Home" page of my GLO it says with all the books in the boxes (recently read ones) that they are all "Downloading". There is no picture, just an empty box.

Now if i plug it back into my computer and use ADE, not do anything, and eject it again... the KOBO goes into that long "Processing" progress bar. Then the books are there. If i turn the GLO off, the books are gone... I'm back to square one again.

Now the books are still on the GLO... but for some reason it wants to download them again.

Whats going on here? What setting is now wrong?
Mr_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
What it means is that the database on the device has become corrupt. The database keeps a record of all the books on the device to display the titles and other metadata. If it somehow gets corrupted, the device will generally keep working, but anything that forces a reread of the database will read the corrupted version and lose any changes. Powering off and back will do this.

The fix is to logoff from the device, The device will remove the database, restart and take you through the setup again. It will then reload the sideloaded books. You might need to reauthorise the device using ADE and resend any books with DRM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 05:17 AM   #3
Mr_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The fix is to logoff from the device, The device will remove the database, restart and take you through the setup again. It will then reload the sideloaded books. You might need to reauthorise the device using ADE and resend any books with DRM.
Not sure what you mean by "logoff from the device" Davidfor. Can you explain that to me?

While I use ADE to put ePubs on the GLO, I have not "Authorized" the device yet. (Haven't signed up an ADOBE ID yet).The ePubs I've got have all come from Scribd.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
Not sure what you mean by "logoff from the device" Davidfor. Can you explain that to me?
Go into the settings and the "Accounts" screen. At the top will be your Kobo account and "Sign out" on the right. Press "Sign out". You will be prompted about losing anything not synced to the Kobo server. Press the "Sign out" button to continue.
Quote:
While I use ADE to put ePubs on the GLO, I have not "Authorized" the device yet. (Haven't signed up an ADOBE ID yet).The ePubs I've got have all come from Scribd.
So, you are just using ADE to sideload the DRM free books? In that case, you can do this manually by copying them to the driver. But, I recommend looking at calibre. It is an extremely capable book management application that understands most ereaders and how to best to send the books to them.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Mr_B

Thanks for your help Davidfor.
I've done what suggested in the GLO now wants everything set up again. Its telling me to go to the Kobosetup.com website again. So it looks like I will have to wipe everything, but at least I have an idea what is wrong. I'm waiting for Kobo to resend me my login info, and I will do the setup again tomorrow.

The irony is what you mentioned about Calibre, is I was using it until I read people were using ADE. I used that, and everything went pear shaped. So i will take your advice and head back to Calibre.

Thanks for your help here... and on the Whirlpool forum.
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The need to setup again is a side effect David did not mention of logging out! It's very similar to doing a factory reset, but avoids the need to re-download any firmware upgrades.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
Thanks for your help Davidfor.
I've done what suggested in the GLO now wants everything set up again. Its telling me to go to the Kobosetup.com website again. So it looks like I will have to wipe everything, but at least I have an idea what is wrong.
I did say "take you through the setup again" As PeterT said, it won't need to download new firmware. The visit to the website is only needed if you don't already have the desktop app and need to use it rather than WiFi for the setup.
Quote:
I'm waiting for Kobo to resend me my login info, and I will do the setup again tomorrow.

The irony is what you mentioned about Calibre, is I was using it until I read people were using ADE. I used that, and everything went pear shaped. So i will take your advice and head back to Calibre.
ADE is only needed if you DRM protected books and don't want to strip the DRM. But, it probably wasn't ADE's fault. The database corruptions are caused by something else. A possible reason is not disconnecting from the PC properly, but it does happen at other times.
Quote:
Thanks for your help here... and on the Whirlpool forum.
Glad to help. Now I just have to work out who you are there
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 AM   #8
Mr_B

Thumbs up

Just to close my issue...
If any one else has this problem, the feedback by members here fixed the problem i was having with the Kobo GLO. I'm happily back to do what I bought it for, reading.